Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax with Kick ash basket won't reach temp

Options
Hey guys, 

Just been noticing my mini max with a kick ash basket is struggling to get past 550. I have removed the ceramic base and only using the basket. Any thoughts? I fill up to the fire ring and I use a heat gun to heat up 4 spots around the grill. 

I never seem to get a consistent flame though, would I be better off using a true flame fire starter? 

Tried to TREX tonight but the 550 max killed me. I even left the lid open for 15 to 20 kind and then let it sit for another 15 to 20 with the dome closed and everything wide open. 

Could it be the kick ash basket? 

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I doubt it's the basket. Maybe smaller pieces of lump are clogging it up??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm going to ASS-U-ME this is not your first and only egg. So have you changed anything besides the KAB?  & I also agree with @Jeremiah doubting it's the KAB. If anything it'll get hotter faster with more airflow (Keyword MORE AIRFLOW). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't think it's the KAB.  I can get mine to 600 with no problems when filled moderately with small to mid-size pieces of Rockwood.  I can get it to 725-750 when filled to the top of the ring using small/medium pieces.  What kind of charcoal are you using?  How are you filling the basket?  Is your firebox hole lined up with the bottom vent?  Last one - Are you using the basket with the original charcoal grate or using the KAB by itself.  So many questions, but I'd like to help.  By the way, I don't usually need the temps this high.  I found this out through trial and lots of error.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I will say KAB is not a fantastic mini max add on, its ok. Lump amount feels reduced. I was hitting 400 fine, with the higher temps I can see a struggle. Overall rating 7/10.....strictly my opinion. High que 9/10. I have both.
    Seattle, WA
  • dabrodas
    dabrodas Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't think it's the KAB.  I can get mine to 600 with no problems when filled moderately with small to mid-size pieces of Rockwood.  I can get it to 725-750 when filled to the top of the ring using small/medium pieces.  What kind of charcoal are you using?  How are you filling the basket?  Is your firebox hole lined up with the bottom vent?  Last one - Are you using the basket with the original charcoal grate or using the KAB by itself.  So many questions, but I'd like to help.  By the way, I don't usually need the temps this high.  I found this out through trial and lots of error.
    Thanks guys. I use Royal Oak for my lump. The firebox is lined up with the opening. I have a ton of air flow where I cook. I generally lift the basket out before each cook. It is so windy most of the ash flies away once I lift it. I do a quick shake of the basket then place the basket back in the egg. Then fill to the bottom of the fire ring with the Royal Oak. I do not use the BGE bottom grate. 

Don't usually mess too much with how I am filling it but like to have smaller pieces on top and larger on the bottom, but most times I just leave it as it with the previous cook coal on the bottom and new pieces on top. 

Last night near the end of my Trex cook I could see portions of the bottom of the basket. 

When I fire it up, I use a heat gun in 3 or 4 places until I can't hold it any more because the sparks get too rowdy. 

I'm thinking I need to use more coal? Can I fill to the top of the fire ring without issue? 

This is my first egg! 

Thanks for the help guys! 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    dabrodas said:
    [...] I have removed the ceramic base and only using the basket. [...]

What do you mean by ceramic base?

Options
    paqman said:
    dabrodas said:
    [...] I have removed the ceramic base and only using the basket. [...]

What do you mean by ceramic base?
    The BGE charcoal grate, sorry for the confusion. 
  • dabrodas
    Options
    here's about how much I fill it on a usual bases. Old coal on the bottom and new on top
  • DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    Options
    Looks as it should be just curious if your problem is the kick ash since i'm about to order one. And yes you can fill it up to the grid/fire ring i did that in the beginning, after reading the manual i stopped doing it.
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Are you sure it isn't wrapping around? Fire plus air = hot, real hot. Charcoal will burn over 1000. Are you snuffing the top down by accident or something? 
  • dabrodas
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by wrapping around? Another picture for reference. On my usual set up. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    The only time that I struggled to get up to temp with my Mini Max was because I did not use it for a few weeks and somehow, water got in and the charcoal was damp...  That being said, I usually aim for 400F.  Maybe you are right and you just need to add more charcoal.

Options
    Thanks. 400 is no problem. Tonight was tough to hit 400 but was using place setter, drip pan, and meatloaf cooking. 

It's really only when I want to hit 650 or so that I struggle. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Are you taking the top damper off? This will help. The only thing I can think of is you are choking the top air flow off. 650 should be easy. 
  • dabrodas
    Options
    Are you taking the top damper off? This will help. The only thing I can think of is you are choking the top air flow off. 650 should be easy. 
    Yes, it is wide open on the bottom and no dampener on top. 

Next high temp cook I am going to try a different fire starting method and more coal. If it still doesn't work I'll try removing the KAB. 
  • DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    Options
    When did you place the plate setter? If you put it to early it will be difficult to get temperatuur up
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    You got me stumped. Hope you find the culprit. 
  • dabrodas
    Options
    When did you place the plate setter? If you put it to early it will be difficult to get temperatuur up

Once it hit 400 wide open, I put in the place setter in.

ill try doing some burgers or something this week and will try to push it to 650 and try a few tweaks.