Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Ends

Options
EggDan
EggDan Posts: 174
In two weekends I will be cooking two pork butts and a prime packer brisket and I am looking to try burnt ends because some of the recent posts have been unreal looking. 

Typically I only use salt and pepper on my brisket, so I was wondering what burnt end rubs would appeal to the masses. 

From searching the forums it looks like pretty much anything would work.  Let me know your thoughts!

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Salt and pepper will work just fine that said you're welcome to use any BBQ rub you like the flavor of!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2015
    Options
    EggDan said:
    From searching the forums it looks like pretty much anything would work.  Let me know your thoughts!
    Anything that you like will work. That's the most important thing. Use what you like and enjoy. Not what others like. I'm real fond of adding a little cayenne pepper to pork burnt ends to give them a little something extra. That doesn't mean that you will like it though. The sky is the limit my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Fully agree with these two venerable fellows; they know what they're talking about. That being said I will strongly second the idea of using a rub with a bit of heat in it and recommend choosing a rub that is not TOO sweet. For instance, I think various 'honey' rubs are perfect for chicken and pork but are suboptimal for burnt ends. Ditto 'maple' rubs. For my taste overly sweet rubs fight with beef and the more savory varieties are your friend.

As always, in the end its what you like that matters the most, just sharing my thoughts/opinions.

Whatever you do post some pics so we can all be jealous.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • scgirlinoh
    scgirlinoh Posts: 10
    Options
    First burnt ends (pork) here today...used the internet recipe shared on the forum recently...mesquite and apple chunks, mustard base, rub (Plowboy's Yardbird, topped with EAT Zero to Hero,) injected with butter/hot sauce (Southern Soul Habanero Peach) and then more rub. Start to finish took a little longer than expected to get decent bark but worth the wait! 

• scgirlinoh
    scgirlinoh Posts: 10
    Options
    Also did some pretty and tasty potatoes but had to do those in the oven...need a bigger egg!

• EggDan
    Options
    Thanks for the insights everyone.  I like the cayenne profile. Wow those pork burnt ends look amazing. 

Do you guys typically add a little sauce 30 or so minutes prior to pulling?

I will definitely post pics!  
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I do... and bump the temp up to carmelize them a bit!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Also did some pretty and tasty potatoes but had to do those in the oven...need a bigger egg!

Or a second Egg. Hmmmmm. 
  • EggDan
    Options
    One other question regarding the cook.  I plan to use an AR, and put the two butts at felt level. After a few hours I am going to put the brisket above the pork.  Do you see anything wrong with introducing raw beef over the pork after a few hours?  I figure it will not be anywhere near the safe zone anyways at that time. 

I did this same cook on a weber smokey mountain a few years ago and everything turned out great. 

For multi level grid cooks, is there any combination of meat to avoid?  Thanks in advance!

• PorkU
    PorkU Posts: 32
    Options
    Pork burnt ends with my " I like pig butts and I cannot lie" and drizzled in a garlic 101 and fire drill melted butter!!  Unreal!!!!
    WWW.PORKU.NET

FACEBOOK.COM/PORKU11

INSTAGRAM  PORK_U

TWITTER.COM/PORKUNIVERSITY

PERISCOPE  PORK U