Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trimming Dry Aged

Options
kdink
kdink Posts: 336
Have been Dry Aging a 18lb Prime Rib Eye with the Umai bag.  This has been my first try.  Thank you @rrp for your help.
It has been 35 days and today will be the day to try the results.
Been reading where you guys do not trim? is that correct.  You are leaving the hard crust and cooking?
That may be hard to get other half to accept, need to have back up to convince if this is indeed the new preferred way!
2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Looking good! Actually there are some people who do not trim at all, trim somewhat and others go ape and trim back to grocery store red! I'm in the somewhat group. I prefer to steak out my meat first and do marginal trimming on each individual steak. This method is especially effective on boneless rib eyes. Otherwise if you trim the full piece then where the bones were removed you have valleys. Trimming all at once trims off the tasty mountains down to the level of the valleys! Please give us a report later about your success! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kdink
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looking good! Actually there are some people who do not trim at all, trim somewhat and others go ape and trim back to grocery store red! I'm in the somewhat group. I prefer to steak out my meat first and do marginal trimming on each individual steak. This method is especially effective on boneless rib eyes. Otherwise if you trim the full piece then where the bones were removed you have valleys. Trimming all at once trims off the tasty mountains down to the level of the valleys! Please give us a report later about your success! 
    Here it is after I opened the bag,  My plan is to slice and trim after slicing.  Guess thats the somewhat group!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm watching this!!  Good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    Here's a nice 1+ lb ribeye my wife and I shared last night. It was a 62 day age and was TERRIFIC! Note the dark rind in the forefront. I understand what you mean about SWMBO not cottoning to any rind, but once they discover the great taste they come around. I used to cook us separate steaks and then she would trim off or just not eat that part and I would enjoy both hers and mine!

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    kdink said:
    Have been Dry Aging a 18lb Prime Rib Eye with the Umai bag.  This has been my first try.  Thank you @rrp for your help.
    It has been 35 days and today will be the day to try the results.
    Been reading where you guys do not trim? is that correct.  You are leaving the hard crust and cooking?
    That may be hard to get other half to accept, need to have back up to convince if this is indeed the new preferred way!
    Please let us know the results.  It should be fantastic! 

Cheers.  
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • kdink
    Options
    @bgebrent, @beermike
    Here is looks after I trimmed it. I am happy so far.  @rrp, Looks like I trimmed the part you referred to off,  It's my first attempt, leaves me room for improvement.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful man!!  Salivating brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    edited July 2015
    Options
    too late now but I should have suggested that you at least go easy on trimming a couple steaks just to give it a try. You could always trim it off after cooking them, but once you tasted it I bet you would understand what we mean when we say it mellows out like tasty rich butter. Next time - try at least 1 steak maybe?
  • kdink
    Options
    Sorry guys was so into it I almost missed the finished shot!  No fork but was not before the first bite!  The only problem with this will be waiting the 35-42 days for the next one!  Oh wait I still have 5 more steaks left which I will vac seal and have very soon I am sure.  Thank you @RRP for all your help and wisdom from the start.  If you are one the fence about the Umai bags take it from a novice its well worth it! Extremely tender   
  • RRP
    Options
    kdink said:
    Sorry guys was so into it I almost missed the finished shot!  No fork but was not before the first bite!  The only problem with this will be waiting the 35-42 days for the next one!  Oh wait I still have 5 more steaks left which I will vac seal and have very soon I am sure.  Thank you @RRP for all your help and wisdom from the start.  If you are one the fence about the Umai bags take it from a novice its well worth it! Extremely tender   
    B E A U T I F U L !

and thanks for the tip of the hat - my pleasure!