Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza and question...

Options
Last Saturday, we decided to bake a pizza for the first time.  Ok, I kind of cheated and bought a Papa Murphy's for our first attempt.  Baked 9 minutes, 600 degrees,  legs up, raised grate with BGE 14" stone.  The pie was perfectly baked and was better then expected.  Very pleased with the results.  My only issue was transfering the raw pizza from the paper tray it comes on on to the pizza peel.  I did put a little corn starch on the peel and stone which worked well but the raw dough was a challenge.   What are your suggestions?  Bake with the paper tray?  thanks in advance. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The paper is probably parchment.  If it is, you can just put the paper and pie on the stone.  After a few minutes, use the peel and lift the pie up a bit and pull out the paper.  Then continue cooking until done.
    Options
    Oh, it's a tray.  I really should read better. 
    Options
    I take my parchment paper roll to Papa Murphys and ask them to put the pizza on the parchment paper and then onto their big paper plate. When I get home, it is very easy to lift the pizza with the parchment paper and put it on the pizza stone. After 3 minutes, I remove the parchment paper and let the pizzza cook on the pizza stone.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question.  I'm just wondering (having never eaten Papa Murphy's), if you buy their dough and cook it yourself, aren't you just eating Papa Murphy's pizza?  IMO good pizza is 90% in the crust.  However, if it's just raw dough that they sell you, I'm sure you can just take it off of the tray they provide and reform it/flour it and roll it out to where and what you like.   
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question.  I'm just wondering (having never eaten Papa Murphy's), if you buy their dough and cook it yourself, aren't you just eating Papa Murphy's pizza?  IMO good pizza is 90% in the crust.  However, if it's just raw dough that they sell you, I'm sure you can just take it off of the tray they provide and reform it/flour it and roll it out to where and what you like.   
    PM's is ready made to your specs and mean't to be baked at home.  Actually, its pretty good pizza.  Am not sure if they sell raw dough.   We have another place in town that sells raw dough or will par bake a pizza crust and then add ingredients to be baked at home.  Going to try them next.  FWIW, my first try was excellent.  Baked even to perfection.
  • creque
    creque Posts: 2
    Options
    I just got an egg myself a week ago.  Loving it so far.  The first pizza I did was Papa Murphy's as well.  I put it on my stone with the paper tray for a few minutes.  Then I was able to "shake" the tray out after the crust was abit done.  It seemed to work well since I was doing a thin crust being able to give time for the cheese and toppings to cook before the thin crust burnt.