Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proper Lighting Technique for Direct Cooking

Options
I'm a long time Weber griller, but pretty new to the BGE -- and loving it.  I've been very successful with Barbecue and Indirect cooking, but I'm having a little trouble with Direct cooking of chicken breasts and hamburgers.  Here's the problem I'm having... With a Weber, you light every single briquette and wait for it to cook down to the proper temp for direct cooking.  With the BGE, you light a portion of the charcoal, and wait for the fire to spread and come up to temp.  I use about 3-4 firestarters for my XL BGE.  Initially, I had problems with hot and cold spots, because the Egg came to temp without lighting a consistent bed of hot coals that was wide enough to provide even cooking.  I managed by rotating the food on the grill, but I wanted a nice even bed of coals.    So, I started using more firestarters (4-5 for my XL) and then using a small shovel to mix up the hot coals to get an even, broad bed of coals going.  The problem is that, by the time I get a nice bed of hot coals, the whole thing is so darn hot, it takes forever to get it back to a reasonable cooking temp (say 450 degrees).  I ended up with food that was overcooked, which was my mistake for getting impatient.

Is there a good technique to get a nice even bed of hot coals that's wide enough for 8 burgers or chicken breasts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Either start your lump in a chimney and spread around. Or a harbor freight weedburner for 29.95. I'm ready to go in 5 minutes
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I have an extra large as well. I use the thw fire sticks as well. What I do is I break then in half and bury them in the lump. I spread them out. Usually good to go in about 20-30 mins. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I use a chimney in my XL and spread the coals out.  I still get hot spots sometimes, but they are manageable. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Another suggestion is to start with less lump.  By the time you get a full bed of lump in an egg it is going to be really hot. 

You might also consider some of the angle brackets for the XL.  This way you can just get a consistent bed of coals on half the grid if that is all you need. 

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/anglebrackets.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Use an electric starter.  Keep the starter in for 8 minutes.  Then i stir with a small shovel (like you do). Then close lid for 8 minutes.  Temp will be 350º - 400º and you're ready to grill. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Is this problem for all XL? I was looking to get one as I have the large and do not have this issue. Is it really that much work VS lighting it in the middle and letting it get to temp? 
    Brandon, MS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    No.  I never have a prob lighting or getting to temp.  Never bought a reducer or angle brackets, I just bank the lump against the back if I want two zone.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I have never had a problem.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I have never had a problem.  Mapp torch, light in several places and let it get going to temp.  If I have a spot that hasn't gotten going, I spread some coals over to it and problem solved.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a large BGE. I always take the ash tool and rake the lump around after it has started burning to try and distribute the burning lump evenly.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    The easiest...quickest,  (and in my opinion best) way to get a nice even butning cooking surface for grilling is to use a weed burner.
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    i thought the weedburner was the official way to light an egg. I have never lit it any other way. Ever. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Mapp torch....Light in 3 places equally spaced around circle and voila! 10 mins and off I go!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have an XL and never any problem getting to or holding any temp.  I have tried many starting methods (paper towels/oil, MAP torch, starter cubes, and chimney).   I am finding I now use the Weber chimney to start for any cook.  Just a few pieces for a low temp indirect cook, up to half a chimney if I am going to do a direct cook, sear, etc.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • cwaltrs
    cwaltrs Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback.  Much appreciated.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I started off with incandescent, but moved to fluorescent.  To be honest, my lighting is mostly LED now.  I can see the food cook directly very clearly.