Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time ordering name brand commercial rubs, what should I get first? Any must tries?

Options
2»

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    my favorites

1)dizzy pig
    2) meat church
    3) pork U

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    Options
    I have made my own and it was the best I've used.  Just a basic brown sugar, kosher salt, garlic, onion, and ground cayenne rub and I was amazed at how easy it was and the results it gave.

For commercial rubs Cookshack Rib Rub and Spicy Chicken Rub are very good.  I just picked up a big bottle of Head Country Championship Seasoning at Sam's Club and it's pretty good too.  I've basically replaced Lawry's seasoned salt with it because it's very versatile.  It doesn't have much heat though so you may want to add some cayenne if you want heat.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I don't know what Eggfest I got it at, but 'Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub' really knocked my socks off on ribs. I didn't even use sauce while cooking them. It will be terrific with any pork and with chicken. I haven't used it on anything else yet...I just made ribs three times in 2 weeks.

They have a website and Amazon also carries it (qualifies for Prime).
    Judy in San Diego
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Planning to cook ribs (first time), hopefully this weekend. Need to make my decision about ordering rubs soon.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle
    Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
    The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Oakridge all the way. Always fresh, very little salt, good on everything!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Danielson
    Danielson Posts: 54
    Options
    Penzey Spices has some good rubs, the BBQ3000 is a favorite.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Dipstix Mary's Favorite is a great universal rub.  I use it with 75% of my cooks 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

I'm a Dizzy Dust guy.  I've tried a lot of rubs, but that one keeps me coming back.

My entire family likes Dizzy Dust, as long as I don't get too heavy handed with it.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    For the Dizzy fans, which would you recommend from the Dizzy camp to be used on ribs and/or pork butt?

From Meat Church, the Honey Hog rub sounds amazing.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options

Ditto on the Dizzy Pig line....Chris is a stand up guy and personal taste aside...he has some great flavor profiles...and the are among the freshest commercial rubs available...(mui importante')!!

While I have been making my own for years...there is another I have not seen mentioned here...BBQ Bob's "Alpha Rub".

You would know him as "the man"...@ BBQ Guru.

It's his "completion rub"...and it is without a doubt one of the best I know of...not overly expensive...and fresh as they come!!

Comps aren't everything...(but judging from his room full of KCBS trophies), and the number of teams that have adopted it's use in the last year or so...it might be worth your consideration!

It is very well balanced...and while packing tons of flavor, doesn't overpower good pork products!

As an aside...his Sauce is Killer as well!!

I think you can order thru the BBQ Guru Website!

Good luck on whatever you decide to order!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For the Dizzy fans, which would you recommend from the Dizzy camp to be used on ribs and/or pork butt?

From Meat Church, the Honey Hog rub sounds amazing.
    My go to combo for ribs is a 60/40 blend of Dizzy Dust, and Swamp Venom. Just enough heat to make me happy, not so much my wife objects.

For butts, Dizzy Dust Coarse, and lots of it. Recently, been adding a little Pineapplehead, maybe 10%.

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    You're getting Oak Ridge so I have nothing to add.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    DP Swamp venom on pork, but gotta say I really like oak ridge and @hennaple has turned me into head country on ribs. 
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    henapple said:
    Head Country rub and sauce. 
    I don't care for their rub but their sauces....man oh man...they're my favorite. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Stick with your gut. Get the DP and Oakridge samplers and don't look back! 
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    OK so I might have gone overboard. I got the Oak Ridge Sampler, the Dizzy Pig Sampler and the Holy Trinity 3 pk from Meat Church.

Going to be a fun few weeks of eats!
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    My fav commercial rub is Plowboys Yardbird.  Never tried any of the Dizzy Pig rubs, though.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Chilefarmer
    Options
    I make most of my own rubs, also make my own sauce. But on occasion I buy some of both. My go to ready made rub and sauce come from Sucklebusters, this is a Texas company with many awards in its line up. I think it is very good. My favorite is Hog Waller really good on pork and chicken. CF 
  • redharley13
    Options
    swamp venom on wings is incredible.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    You don't need to go pricey.  McCormick Montreal is great with beef.  Webber Bold Chipoltle is very good.  It is pretty easy to make your own with salt, pepper, brown sugar and so on.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

My vote goes to the DP sampler and the Oakridge sampler. Quality of both is top notch. Not overly salty. The variety of the DP line is great, especially if you want to try different flavors (Asian, Indian, etc) to get an idea of what you might like or try to whip up yourself. I'm partial to the Oakridge line though because of the Habanero Death Dust and Crucible rubs.

Other favs include Plowboys Yardbird and The Jerk rubs, JH Mojave Garlic Pepper and JH Chicken Tickler. f you like some fruit flavors in your rub, check out the Simply Marvelous lineup - I bought one of each in their line a few years ago and loved them. They are a little on the sweet side though.

And Slap Ya Mama Hot is always out on the counter in my kitchen. Good way to kick up the heat when mixed with any rub. Watch the salt though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I recently ordered a sampler pack of the Caribeque rubs and enjoyed them. The Spicy Calypso Kick  is nice and my 1yo enjoys the original Calypso on all kinds of things.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Here is my answer. You can see Bad Byron's Butt Rub on the top right, it's great to have in your collection 
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I usually go with Dizzy Pig. Oakridge is really good too. Recently made a large order from Penzeys, haven't had everything I've ordered from there yet, but happy so far. 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Dipstix Mary's Favorite is a great universal rub.  I use it with 75% of my cooks 

I ordered some of the above today. Can't wait to try it.
    I did see mention in one of your other posts about a "hot" version but did not find any online?
    Thanks for the heads up...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas