Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig

Options
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Adjustable Rig and a few accessories... with the Adjustable Rig is the top of it flush with the Egg opening ( same height as the placesetter )? The Rig Extender sits on top of the Adjustible Rig, and its shelf extends above the rim of the Egg? the extended shelf is only 16.5 inches, will the standard 18 inch grate not fit that high in the dome? is it only possible to use one shelf in the Rig, and the Extended shelf on top? I do a lot of BBQ, and trying to maximize my space... 
I know that eventually i'm going to by and XL to add to my Large, but need to 'make do' for the moment... 

Comments

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    The Adjustable Rig sets higher than the felt line, the extender puts the grate up higher yet in the dome. I have both and works well, the extender has its own grate because the 18" grate won't fit up in the dome. You get radiant heat from the dome using the extender.
  • cas_sj
    cas_sj Posts: 6
    Options

Just pulled the trigger myself last week and have a rack of ribs going today....  I think Tom at CGS will happily answer all of your questions if you call during business hours, and you'll get plenty of other feedback here (you might check the search function, I read a lot of posts before my purchase - very helpful), but I'll add my input....

The rig sits on the top of the fire ring - in other words, where your OEM grid is probably sitting now.  You can still cook with your OEM grid on that level, or raise the level to one of four higher levels - including the top.  The grid with the adjustable rig is 16.5" and will be placed in any one of the three levels in the rig with two cross bars.  Your OEM grid (18'' I believe) will not fit in the rig in those 3 levels, but it will fit on top - not secured, but it shouldn't move around much.   And the lid will close with the grid on top - so you have the option of cooking above the "felt line" - perhaps 2'' or so, where my ribs are roasting now....  And I have room in my large to put a grid extender above that level as well to cook quite high in the dome, and the top will still close.

Theoretically you could have quite a number of levels going depending on how many grids you have and the space needed for the food in between each.  Indirect of course - you might not want to try that on a direct cook....

You'll find plenty of pictures out there with different setups - here's a page showing the CGS grid extender....

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1127702/cgs-large-slide-guide-rig-extender

Good luck - don't think you'll regret this purchase....

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Call Tom to place your order. He will walk you through it and answer any questions. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Look on this web page: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html

Go down to the bottom and start reading at this heading: What do Levels 1.5, 3.0 and 4.5 mean?

On a large
    egg, the fire ring is ~4 inches below the felt line ... mine are actually 4.3" below the felt line.   Thus, the 3.0 level is nominally one inch below the felt line and the 4.5 level is 0.5 inches about the felt line.  The extension sticks up enough into the dome that, as kcw said, it needs a smaller grill size.  Luckily the 16.5" D-grill, will fit down into the rig at the 1.5, 3.0, and 4.5 levels, so you're not stuck with only being able to use the oval grills.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• kirkiver
    kirkiver Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that pretty much answers my questions... my two main goals are to increase the amount of cooking area, and to be able to cook above the felt line. we do a lot of pizza, and I think i will get better results if i can get the pizza stone higher in the dome where the heat will reflect back. right now anything hotter than 650, and the crust gets done before the top, i would like to be able to get the egg to 750 to do the pizzas faster. our last pizza party i did 12 pizzas... all of them are thin crust with simple toppings so they cook quickly, just need to get the topping done quicker. 
    I'm going to order the customer combo, the adjustable rig with sliding grid... that seams to cover most of the needed items at the best value... that will bet me three grids to cook on, with the extended shelf being higher in the dome.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    If you already have a plate setter for your large, you might consider this group of options:

PSWoo2 ... gives you direct cooking at the felt line ... and allows you to remove the plate setter and/or normal grill as a unit.

PS Extension and D-grill ... this addition adds a second level of cooking approximately 4 inches about the felt line.

16" Stainless Steel Drip Pan ... this is a perfect fit for the plate setter.

The above four items provide simplified muti-level cooking options for your egg that continues to use the plate setter as an indirect stone.  The emphasis is on simple ... sometimes multiple choices is not a good thing.

The negative is that for rib and brisket cooks, you've got to use aluminum foil protection for some of the ends.

Just a thought ...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    +1 with @Jeepster47- With the exception of the drip pan, I recently acquired the other toys he describes with the goal of simplification.  The key is platesetter ownership.  And it is a great operating system.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    The oval stone is used for ribs along with the oval ring wraped in foil for a drip pan.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    When I had a large, I had the oval stone AR set up.  My favorite add-on was the oval ring to make foil drip pans.  I still miss that!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone ... what did you use to elevate the "pan" off the oval stone?  The center keeps drooping down 'til it sets on the stone when I use mine.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone ... what did you use to elevate the "pan" off the oval stone?  The center keeps drooping down 'til it sets on the stone when I use mine.
    When you wrap the foil around the ring, one side will rest on the stone, but one side will be elevated.
    Flint, Michigan
  • kirkiver
    kirkiver Posts: 23
    Options
    Well, i was having some trouble checking out with paypal yesterday, figured i would get it straightened out and order this morning... seams they have redone their store front, and prices went up... almost a $100 for the combo and extended shelf... it looks like great stuff, but i don't think i will be ordering anytime soon...  :o
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    kirkiver said:
    Well, i was having some trouble checking out with paypal yesterday, figured i would get it straightened out and order this morning... seams they have redone their store front, and prices went up... almost a $100 for the combo and extended shelf... it looks like great stuff, but i don't think i will be ordering anytime soon...  :o
    Give them a call. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming