Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with the lump coal

Options
I just purchase the BGE a couple of weeks ago.  My wife is not a big fan of smoke meat. Is there a lump coal that has less wood flavor than others? Thanks
Large BGE Wellington, Fl

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome and thank you for your service. What kind of lump are you currently using?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    I should of answered your question. The Naked Wiz webpage has great lump reviews. Many people bake desserts in the BGE, myself included. I've been using Rockwood. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get a ton of answers, but from what I've gathered the most neutral is rockwood.  Depending on your location you may have to order it from www.firecraft.com.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Natures Own hardwood lump by Basques Charcoal is always a good. Its made from sugar maple trees and has a completely different fragrance and taste.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Was in the same boat as you a few years ago.  Switched to Rockwood and Ozark Oak and the problem went away.  Now it's just straight up Rockwood.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    +1 with Rockwood-Another smoke neutral lump is Wicked Good Weekend Warrior if locally available.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I found a boxed lump at a hardware store, "Forest Lumps" which comes from Eastern Europe. I really liked it and compares closely to Rockwood. 

Also Carbon Del Sur has been top notch as well. 

Those are my 3 top choices. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome to the forum ...

The answer to a lot of your questions resides here on the forum.  However, the answers might be different depending upon where you live and what size egg you own.  Add that info to your signature line and I'll be helpful. Where you live definitely affects the brand of lump folks might advise you to purchase. 

Under "My Profile" click on your screen name ... then click on "edit profile" along the right side ... then click on "Signature Settings" along the left side ... add your info and hit save.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Kamado joe lump is also very neutral. 
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    I just purchase the BGE a couple of weeks ago.  My wife is not a big fan of smoke meat. Is there a lump coal that has less wood flavor than others? Thanks
    Welcome.  I was in the same boat but the wifinator has come around.  I use Rockwood exclusively and get great results.  It's more neutral so you get better control of the smoke flavor. 
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, it looks like maybe a road trip for Rockwood ... use this site to check out where it's sold: http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/where-to-buy-lump-charcoal/
    The closest two dealers are Ace Hardware stores, so you should be able to get your closest Ace Hardware to order you a bag or two.

A number of folks have said that the Kamado Joe (red bag) is neutral on smoke ... Ace Hardware can order a bag or two for you to try.

You can mail order Rockwood and other lumps via Firecraft.com ... as already mentioned.  Do check out nakedwhiz as Steven suggested ... it's a good way to quickly weed out some of the bad stuff like Cowboy.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max