Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Options

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    anyone notice how hot the bottom shelf gets?  Mine was 215 or so at least during the seasoning process. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:
    anyone notice how hot the bottom shelf gets?  Mine was 215 or so at least during the seasoning process. 
    really?  On my deck I have so much wind howling through I've never thought it got much over ambient temp. But it's always breezy where I'm cooking.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@Thatgrimguy Yes sir, they do great work I hear. One day mine will be on the way. Next for me is a vertical.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Mine was just delivered!!!! Putting it together now!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Grillin_beers
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just got it put together. Time to season! 

• Grillin_beers
    Options

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just got it put together. Time to season! 
    Be advised that all the seasoning process eats a lot of fuel.  I'm hoping it isn't a guzzler now that I'm done seasoning.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Options

Oh also...I did make a few diced onions go black like grim said but I really think the chives I used the 2nd go around worked much better.  Food for thought.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Ok I am sold. Just made ham and cheese and rye. Damn it was way better than what I get from cafe. Next time I will amp it up .

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Ok I am sold. Just made ham and cheese and rye. Damn it was way better than what I get from cafe. Next time I will amp it up .

Did you sear the ham first or put it on cold?  If not, I think searing it might elevate it a notch.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Yep I seared it while the rye was toasting with cheese on one piece of the bread . 3 separate stacks of ham. Next time I will use deli ham that is at Inlaw thinness . Shaved. The thinner the better.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Grillin_beers
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @cazzy!  I bought a lot of onions to season with but I also happen to have some green onions.  I'll use both so my bases are covered! Also @Thatgrimguy I think my wife is mad at you.  She'll come around once the food starts coming off of it. 

• Hotch
    Options
    Two things I have noticed
    1. Blowing through paper towels like crazy
    2. Need to figure out where to put the gear, don't really want to keep having to haul it out every cook.

Hopfully I get my pavilion built soon. I will invest in cabinets or rolling tool box. That said, I'm loving it.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @hotch could you put the gear in a plastic tote on the shelf underneath? 

• Hotch
    Options
    Possibly but I would need to verify it won't get to hot. Hotel pan with lid would work. Thanks. At least it will get me by
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Love all the pics from everyone! Mine is now "estimated delivery / N/A" lol. Everything looks damn good. Just love to cook anything outside!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Hotch
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy @cazzy Have you guys done omelets yet? I think that will be my next adventure. Also should be a true test on my seasoning I would think.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Options
    Well, after reading ten pages of this, now I'm thinking I may want one, thanks, LOL.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • cazzy
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @Thatgrimguy @cazzy Have you guys done omelets yet? I think that will be my next adventure. Also should be a true test on my seasoning I would think.
    Not yet but you just lay down a rectangle with the eggs and fold it two times.  I'm confident that I'd still prefer them out of a 10" pan though.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I have. It was awkward. I'd rather just use a skillet. I end up with scrambled eggs with stuff in them.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Hotch said:
    Not yet but you just lay down a rectangle with the eggs and fold it two times.  I'm confident that I'd still prefer them out of a 10" pan though.
    I haven't tried it on the blackstone but I used to do them this way on the presto griddle.  I like them but it makes a sort of thin walled omelet.   Here is a visual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5E9uH20Kyg

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    edited July 2015
    Options

@cazzy @Thatgrimguy I may have to go back to Cozumel, stay sober and pay more attention at breakfast. Sounds like a plan.....

Thanks

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    Options
    Hotch said:

@cazzy @Thatgrimguy I may have to go back to Cozumel, stay sober and pay more attention at breakfast. Sounds like a plan.....

Thanks

Smokey's video above is how I was talking about.  While it works, the nature of the cook leads to a thin non-fluffy egg that is folded over to give you several layers.

Get your eggs ready.  For just a plain cheese omelette, I do 2 or 3 eggs with a tablespoon of milk and whisk it till smooth.  Get good non-stick pan hot, medium-high heat and drop your butter.  Add your eggs and use a narrow spatula to push down the edges one at a time towards the middle. As you push one side down, lean your pan so more raw egg fills up the empty space.  Rinse and repeat and you'll notice that it just keeps getting fluffier and fluffier because of this process.  Here is the tricky part, once it gets as fluffy as it is going to get,you need to flip it.  Move your pan in circular motion so you know it isn't sticking and is moving, then pop your wrist.  After you flip, drop your cheese and fold.  You should be able to slide it onto a plate.

Here are some pics of me and the kids making the wife an omelette for Mother's Day.

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Just finished round one of the seasoning process.  Letting it cool now and then onto the onions!  

• Hotch
    Options
    Thanks @cazzy, that must have been a great morning at your place!!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Thanks @cazzy, that must have been a great morning at your place!!
    It was a ton of fun!  They love cooking!
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @cazzy nice omlet technique!  Its so much better to have a nice fluffy omlet than a thin overcooked one. 

• Hotch
    Options
    Your daughter looks to have good skills with the whisk.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Your daughter looks to have good skills with the whisk.
    Lol...she lacks a lil finesse but she's only 2.  Now that my oldest daughter is living with us, I'm working with her too!  Our first cook together was homemade chicken nuggets.

• Hotch
    Options

It would be great to be your neighbor!!!

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX