Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic topper

Options
2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cool of the good peeps here to offer a replacement.  I am amazed mine are both in one piece.  

What is the 2 x for on the nest?  
    I went with larger wheels... It also raised it up a bit. I'll paint them later. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    And BTW- the gen2 smokeware caps are badass. I've been cooking in them all weekend. Hated the first, totally sold on the new one. 
    So this new one really works? ... I mean for low n slow? I have the gen 1 and I would like to throw it in the woods. I know it gets lots of love on here but I've never had any temp control success with it. Won't even hold a consistent 350 degrees. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I wonder if any issues with the gen1 are just more apparent on the L or M.  I have one on my XL and have had no problem consistently holding 225 with a full load and on a few occasions have been able to hold 200 or below when I'm really careful about building my fire.  Does that make sense?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I haven't really had issues in my large with gen 1 other than my own bone headed mistakes here and there. Maybe different tolerance from different runs?  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    And BTW- the gen2 smokeware caps are badass. I've been cooking in them all weekend. Hated the first, totally sold on the new one. 
    So this new one really works? ... I mean for low n slow? I have the gen 1 and I would like to throw it in the woods. I know it gets lots of love on here but I've never had any temp control success with it. Won't even hold a consistent 350 degrees. 
    It's night and day. I cooked on it all weekend. So much easier to dial in than the daisy. And I like the daisy. I did low and slow, cooked some salmon at 350 and cold smoked bacon overnight. I went commando in one egg and cyberq on the other and they both held perfect temps all night without a single adjustment. I hated V1 and gave it away after 2 cooks. These are the real deal. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    I started a SmokeWare v1 vs v2 thread that got hijacked pretty quickly... but I can say that through a combination of following (SW) Matt's advice and upgrading to the v2 cap, I was able to pull off an 11-hour cook at 210 degrees last weekend that I wouldn't have trusted overnight to the v1 cap.

Link: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183319/smokeware-cap-v1-vs-v2
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I have 2 that I'll never use available to anyone in need.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I'll send you one for what I owe you in PBR.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    It's night and day. I cooked on it all weekend. So much easier to dial in than the daisy. And I like the daisy. I did low and slow, cooked some salmon at 350 and cold smoked bacon overnight. I went commando in one egg and cyberq on the other and they both held perfect temps all night without a single adjustment. I hated V1 and gave it away after 2 cooks. These are the real deal. 
    That's good to hear. I kept trying to like it. I let it get really gunked up with hopes of it finally sealing out enough air leakage so it would actually work. The last time I tried a low-n-slow with it, I had a stable fire at 250 for 4 hours so I went to bed. I got up in the morning (5 hrs later) and the egg temp was 425 and my pork butts turned into a turbo cook. For me, it just has been a huge PITA for low temp cooks. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @minniemoh Did you have your lower vent just barely cracked and is your gasket good?  Also, did you have probe wires that could have vented the lid?
    Options
    @minniemoh Did you have your lower vent just barely cracked and is your gasket good?  Also, did you have probe wires that could have vented the lid?
    Those are all easily overlooked problems.  My seal passes the dollar bill tug test with flying colors until a temp probe lead is used.  Then I can insert a dollar bill near the temp lead.  The seal is thick enough, but it's getting a little too hard to absorb it. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cut a small line in the gasket for the wire 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Just did a low and slow with v1 and I have no gasket on my large egg, and it stayed steady for 14 hours with no problem.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon