Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What wood goes good with Peach?

Options
ThatGuySmokes
ThatGuySmokes Posts: 6
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys! I'm smoking some baby backs and tri-tip today. I just got some peach wood chips and wanted to mix it with either hickory, pecan or apple chunks. What combination do you think will go best for todays cook?

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I'm doing ribs right now and am using just peach.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    John, where do you get peach wood up here?
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    bweekes said:
    John, where do you get peach wood up here?
    I'm using a bag that I bought last time I was down in Dallas. You might be able to find it at Ontario BBQ in Vaughan or, if you're down Niagara way, a lot of the roadside fruit places sell it (kind of pricey though).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    We all have different "tastes" and preferences. But with that said, Apple is a very lite and subtle wood. It can be mixed with just about anything and yield outstanding results.  Pecan is one of my very favorite woods period. However when using pecan, I like to use just pecan or a 50/50 mix of white oak and pecan. Just my preference. So choosing from the above I would go with apple and peach. Both are mild and smooth. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    I like to mix hardwoods with fruit woods. My preference is white oak with peach.  Also, sugar maple and peach adds a subtle smoke flavor with pork. For beef, my favorite is Texas post oak. 
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Apple would be a great addition to peach

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    +1 Apple. I use it often in all combos. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have a shoulder on and started running white oak then loaded some peach and apple and am now running pecan. All the light woods compliment each other. Peach by itself is fine.
  • Luke_dogs
    Luke_dogs Posts: 20
    Options
    Im smoking a brisket right now using mainly pecan with some leftover hickory from yesterday's salmon. I like peach on bback's but I also intensify the flavor profile by spritzing peach vinegar and the finish with a lite coating of peach jam about 20 minutes from the end. 

Good luck!