Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Early Presant

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just bought me a large BGE as an early graduation/birthday presant.[p]I was planning on cooking a ready to cook ham on my WSM, but now that I have my Egg I would rather use that. Any tips on cooking a ready to cook ham?[p]Randy

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Randy Francis,
    treat the egg just like an oven, go by the same time and temps.... that's the easiest way.[p]there ARE some recipes around for jacking it up a notch, and hopefully someone can chime in with one.[p]but it'd still be great if you just heated it per instructions in the egg. i always toss in a little extra smoke.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Randy Francis,
    Congratulations! I think Stike took care of your question. Welcome aboard![p]Mike

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Randy Francis, not being a cold blanket here - it's just my age I guess - but since you already know what works for you with the ham and your Weber I would cherish my virgin BGE one more day and study a bit more if I were you! I mean simple things like...do you have lump charcoal? - brickettes won't work! Do you know how to start a fire in a BGE? How to stablize the temp? Why rush your very first use when you may not have a clue how to use it? If you want to tell me to go stick it, I'll understand, but to run fast with scizzors always makes me wonder - why the rush??? Lastly it's like the adage of the old bull walking down the hill and sevicing ALL of the cows vs the young bull running down the hill and only servicing one! Man, take your time to learn that new tool of yours - it's a lifetime fun thing, not a device for instant gradification! Happy Easter or whatever you celebrate anyway!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Larry McSass
    Options
    Randy Francis,
    I just did my first slow cook on a ready to cook ham. I put the 18 pounder on the grill (at 250) for about 9 hours, it was incredible. Use Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham recipe. It is awesome. I hope all goes well.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    thanks for making my point! Just where will this newbie find all the extracts on this short notice? Oh, never mind...Good Night...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Randy
    Randy Posts: 28
    Options
    My ham came out great, every body loved it. I had never cooked a ham before so decided to use my new egg. I used my BBQ Guru just jumped in. I have been reading the forum for a while and felt confident trying and my local egg dealer gave some great tips. [p]I can't wait till cook something else on the egg. I will have to wait untill Tuesday because I have some left over ham.[p]Thanks for the support.