Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving an XL

Options
I have sold my house and I will be moving this month.  I've got an XL on my back deck which is up a full flight of stairs.  Has anybody moved an XL.???   My wife had it delivered and setup when she bought it for me! I know, I'm going to take it apart and put back together which sucks because my dome is aligned so perfectly. The specs say it weighs 220lbs I believe.  I figure the base is 150 or so.  Moving sucks.  Any of you that have moved an egg and have advice on transporting etc. please weigh in.   I'll take all the advice I can get.  Thanks
Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I have disassembled (taken out firebox, fire ring) mine and moved it on and off a  ~2' table by myself. It was heavy, and I would def get help to carry it up/down steps. Personally I would not disassemble hinge assembly, but someone else might have a different opinion with good reasoning.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Got some bubble wrap? Why not just replicate the way they are packed when new? Remove the innards, put some bubble wrap between the fie box and base. Do the same with the ring. 
    Base is not all that bad to carry, on level ground. Make sure you got a shirt on that can get dirty. Open the intake and put your hand thru it, using it as a handle.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Take the springs off. Loosen the bottom band only and pull the dome and bands off in one piece. It'll make realignment a snap. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Can you take it thru the house?  Otherwise, do like I did....  Go get 2-3 of the local highschool football linemen / linebackers and offer a rack of ribs and sweet tea in exchange for 30 minutes of work....  Worked like a charm!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Take it apart......very easy.  Loosen the bands and pull everything.  It's pretty easy to move then, plus if you do drop something it's one piece rather than all.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So much depends on what mode of transport you will use to move and the distance you have to move the Egg to your new house..
    With all the racks, fire box and fire ring removed it's not a big struggle for 2 people to move. Lift out of nest or table. Buy a big roll of glad stretch wrap and wrap tight, as much of the XL Egg as you can. Really wrap it, more than one layer. This will protect the Egg, keep the base and dome tight and shut as well as give you "grip" on the Egg.
    I also wrap my ring and box. Taking off the handle is not a bad idea. At this point you could strap it to a dolly with a small blanket pad to protect it as well as strap it to truck or van.
    Have a safe move.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • steventconners20
    Options
    For transport take the inards out and bubble wrap them or use towels.  I wouldn't take the whole thing apart though.  I have my XL in a table and needed to lift it out and I was able to do it on my own with the inards removed.

If you have time and will have to carry it for a distance I have seen people post strap assembly that are ment to carry large potted plants but they work well for carrying eggs. 
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    Remove the innards (fire ring, bowl, etc) and use a pot-lifter. Makes moving eggs much easier.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Take it apart......very easy.  Loosen the bands and pull everything.  It's pretty easy to move then, plus if you do drop something it's one piece rather than all.
    This is what I would do. I moved mine from the nest to my table but taking apart and removing the internal components and it was easy peasy.  
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!  I'll be moving it from my deck down the stairs to a POD for storage for an undetermined time.  Still looking for a new house!  Looks like the MINI MAX will be getting all the love for a while. I'm leaning towards taking it apart. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If it's going into the storage pod, you might return to your dealer and see if you can get a shipping box for the XL.  Talk them into opening up a box just to show you how it's packed.  That would "square" up the unit and provide lots of protection.  Just be sure not to pile too much heavy stuff on top of the box.

My second large was delivered in the shipping box.  I was impressed with how well protected it was ... very efficient use of packing material. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My second large was delivered in the shipping box.  I was impressed with how well protected it was ... very efficient use of packing material. 
    I brought my large home and assembled it myself. Was quite surprised at how much cardboard there was and how well it was packed together - filled up my fairly large recycling container as I was unable to get it packed together so well.  I like the idea of going to your dealer and asking for the packing materials for an XL and watching them unpack one. They will hopefully assemble a few before your moving time.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    +1 on taking it (mostly) apart. I've moved my Xl twice now and it's a pain in the ass pretty much every time. Here's what I've found to work best.

Step 1 - Clean burn the whole thing. Sacrifice a cheap bag of lump and just run through the whole thing in wide open, nuclear mode. TAKE THE DOME THERMO OUT AHEAD OF TIME! For numerous reasons clean stuff is just easier to move than dirty...

Step 2 - Loosen the lower band and remove it from the base but keep it attached to the lid. The lid and bands will be easy enough to move all together.

Step 3 - Take EVERYTHING out of the egg. Grid, ring, firebox, lower grate. The lower grate is surprisingly heavy and removing/moving the firebox will be easier if you pull that out first.

Step 4 - Move the base. The biggest problem isn't the weight so much as the fact that it's unwieldy and tough to get a good grip on. That doesn't mean it's not heavy, just that you'll probably have bigger concerns than sheer weight.

Wrap everything very well and crate it if possible. This will make it all much easier to place in it's final spot using a dolly or hand truck.

Good luck, hope it goes well!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Just from my brief experience with pizza at 500f->600f dome temp, a full on 'nuclear' clean burn will take maybe 8 or 10 hours to cool.      And you MIGHT need a gasket after.   I simply couldn't believe how hot my XLBGE got.     And I've worked around semiconductor furnaces which went to 1200c=2200f
    The sheer mass of 220lb+ of ceramic that hot is brutal.   
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @Black_Badger thanks for the input.  I will do a clean burn. I need a gasket anyhow.  I'm going to stop by my dealer and see if they will save me the original packing from an XL if they put any together. Thank you for all the responses!
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    I just moved a Large with a potlifter that I bought off of amazon.  It made it way easier then I expected. 

http://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-200-Pound-Gardening-Heavy-Lifting/dp/B002ECFFJ8
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    +1 on the pot lifters.

disasemble. Most of the pieces are easy to move.  The heavier pieces, use these with a buddy.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The size, weight and lack of tapper make the PotLifter a poor option for moving the XL. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The size, weight and lack of tapper make the PotLifter a poor option for moving the XL. 
    other eggs come with tappers?

The potlifter grabs the sides pretty good.  I would think that any taper at all would allow for it to be picked up and moved with a potlifter. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I know members want to be helpful but all Eggs are not the same.
    The XL is much larger in diameter, heavier and yes, the shape of the base makes it a very poor fit in the PotLifter.
     Pinkfacemark, have you moved your XL with a PotLifter?
    I have used my PotLifter to move my Small Eggs and Larges with no problems but trying to move my XL was a no go.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    If I were closer I would come and help you move the egg buddy! Noticed none of these other GA eggers have offered that!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I don't think the pot lifter will work with the xl

XLBGE 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    We deliver many of XL's up and down stairs routinely. The base with a pot lifter is the best way to handle this chore. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    a buddy of mine just got an xl.  Him and I got it up 6 steps onto his back porch no problem. I'm sure you have a friend that could help.  I'm not sure what part of Georgia you are in but I'm from Georgia originally and still have plenty of friends that would help for a 12 pack. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I have a solid plan in place.  I did a clean burn!  I'm going to take all the pieces out and bubble wrap.  I'm going to remove the bottom bands leave the top ones attached.  I've hired 3 professional insured movers for 4 hours off of Angie's list!  I'm going to drink beer and watch these guys do the heavy lifting!!! I'm thinking about putting the beast back in the table for transportation in the moving truck. Securing the table and packing around it.   
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I assembled mine at my shop, hauled it home, and moved it onto my deck myself with out problem, though my deck does only have six stairs.  I just took all the guts out, removed the springs and un-bolted the hinge on each side to remove the dome.  When re-assembled it lined up perfectly.  Took it to a family gathering last year and did the same thing with the same results.  I know some don't recommend unbolting the hinges, but it has worked for me.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    The XL is different from all other eggs (as far as the hinge system goes).  No big deal removing the lid.  I've done it three different times without incident.  Remove the lid and all the guts and they're relatively easy to move with two people.
    Packerland, Wisconsin