Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first attempt at dry aging is underway.

Options
My test subjects:
Modern full size upright garage fridge (no freezer)
Umai Bags
Wireless temp and humidity monitor
20 lb choice bone in prime rib
I was going to put my controller on the fridge but its been staying between 35.7º and 36.5º  for the 2 weeks prior to putting the meat in.
The humidity stays between 39-45% unless the door has been opened and even then it recovers pretty fast.

I'm going to go 45 days and see how things go. I couldn't get any prime in town so I had to settle for choice.

Rich
Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I know you're really going to enjoy the results!

FWIW, I've dry aged (no bags) both 45 and 60 day strips, prime rib and now a beef tenderloin (which will be ready in another 2 weeks). I just use a smallish bar refrigerator with the temp set to about 38*. No special humidity or air flow control. Once I put the meat in, I only open the door once, or maybe twice, until I am ready to pull it. It's always turned out great!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Lookin good already! Keep us posted on your progress and of course the results at the end! You won't be disappointed!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options

FWIW, I've dry aged (no bags) both 45 and 60 day strips, prime rib and now a beef tenderloin (which will be ready in another 2 weeks). I just use a smallish bar refrigerator with the temp set to about 38*. No special humidity or air flow control. Once I put the meat in, I only open the door once, or maybe twice, until I am ready to pull it. It's always turned out great!
    Glad it has worked for you. Only trouble using a small refrig like your bar one or one of those "dorm" size ones is they typically do not have fans to draw off the moisture being given up in the aging process. Lingering moisture can lead to bacterial growth.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good luck!  Looks awesome!  Looking forward to the finished product!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:

Glad it has worked for you. Only trouble using a small refrig like your bar one or one of those "dorm" size ones is they typically do not have fans to draw off the moisture being given up in the aging process. Lingering moisture can lead to bacterial growth.
    True about the small fridge not having a fan to move air but is it not the coils that pull the moisture out of the air. A frost free model will freeze the moisture and then drain it away in the thaw cycle but a smaller dorm one will just keep pulling moisture and freeze it to the coils till you manually defrost it.
    Both should pull humidity out of the air. Would be curios to see what the level might be in a dorm fridge set up.
    I have a Hygrometer but no small fridge.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:

True about the small fridge not having a fan to move air but is it not the coils that pull the moisture out of the air. A frost free model will freeze the moisture and then drain it away in the thaw cycle but a smaller dorm one will just keep pulling moisture and freeze it to the coils till you manually defrost it.
    Both should pull humidity out of the air. Would be curios to see what the level might be in a dorm fridge set up.
    I have a Hygrometer but no small fridge.
    Can't remember off-hand what the size is but, it is definitely larger than a dorm fridge and not a frost free (which I would not recommend using as the temp fluctuation may be a problem). I know that many, many people use the bags and have very good success with them; so, I was not knocking that method.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @Navigator , is that machine at the very top  your vacu-pack machine? 
  • Navigator
    Navigator Posts: 56
    Options
    @Sweet100s,  yes it is a Weston 2300 I think.

Rich
  • Navigator
    Options
    45 days was up today so I did some trimming, going to egg one up later!

Rich
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    It looks as if you've truly done a masterful job!! Nice going!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Navigator
    Options
    Reverse seared,  might be my best steak ever! 

Rich
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    mighty fine lookin' chunk of cow.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options