Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork loin pulled?

Options
poster
poster Posts: 1,172
Found nice bone in pork loin roast for dirt cheap. Think this cut would pull ok if i take it up to 195-200? They are 50% less than shoulders

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Loin is lean. Give it a try, but perhaps foil it w/ moisture, after it hits 165ish.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    It will be DRY. Smoke it low and pull it about 145 ( if you are timid about pork) and let it rest then slice it thin and enjoy your pork loin. I would pull it at 140 but I dont mind a light pink pork loin in the center. 

Little Rock, AR

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    It will be DRY. Smoke it low and pull it about 145 ( if you are timid about pork) and let it rest then slice it thin and enjoy your pork loin. I would pull it at 140 but I dont mind a light pink pork loin in the center. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Agree. Make yourself a nice fruity glaze like apricot or blackberry balsamic and devour that sucker!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I know that @mickey did one with good results and I've done a couple but I ended up smoking mine for a while then into a DO with sauce and it was good.   Maybe Mickey will be along to tell you about his.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Look up adam perry langs cilantro garlic pork loin. Do it that way. Best loin recipe I know of. 

Little Rock, AR

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do tons of loin and tenderloin. I go raised direct at 400, pull at 145. I usually like to stuff mine as well. Here is a link to an old thread of mine showing a stuffed tenderloin. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180876/pork-more-pork-and-some-more-pork-for-good-measure#latest
  • poster
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Ill ppst tomorrow how it turns out
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I know that @mickey did one with good results and I've done a couple but I ended up smoking mine for a while then into a DO with sauce and it was good.   Maybe Mickey will be along to tell you about his.  
    I do the tenderloins at 350/direct pulling at 200/205. Very quick and very good. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I do the tenderloins at 350/direct pulling at 200/205. 
     :o  @Mickey, how did they turn out at that temp? I'd think they'd be dryer than toast with no butter. I treat a tenderloin almost like a steak, the closer to rare (or 145 for pork chops/loin) the better. 

At 205 I'd think a direct cooked tenderloin would crumble like the flat of an overcooked brisket. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mickey said:
     :o  @Mickey, how did they turn out at that temp? I'd think they'd be dryer than toast with no butter. I treat a tenderloin almost like a steak, the closer to rare (or 145 for pork chops/loin) the better. 

At 205 I'd think a direct cooked tenderloin would crumble like the flat of an overcooked brisket. 

Reason to cook at 350. I like them. Small amount of pulled pork. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Mickey said:

Reason to cook at 350. I like them. Small amount of pulled pork. 
    Have you ever done that with pork blade chops?  They cook fast and makes for quick
    pulled pork. 

Little Rock, AR

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive tried braising loin before ind it never came close to pulled pork, have seen tenderloin done though. heres two ways ive done it to lower internals, scroll down a little
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145494/smoking-pork-loins

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think a tenderloin would have a better chance than a loin of pulling.  I agree with others I would just cook it like a roast or cut it into thick chops if you can.  I got a rack once that still had the chine bone attached all around and I couldn't figure out how to cut it into chops without a band saw. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• poster
    Options
    I think a tenderloin would have a better chance than a loin of pulling.  I agree with others I would just cook it like a roast or cut it into thick chops if you can.  I got a rack once that still had the chine bone attached all around and I couldn't figure out how to cut it into chops without a band saw. 

Ya that's the same state I'm in, need big tools to slice. Its going on shortly, prob take half off at 145 and let the rest go an see what happens, gonna be tricky to cut in half though