Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accessories for first-time Egghead

Options
I'm getting ready to order my first egg. Dealer is offering a good discount on accessories purchased with the egg, so I want to get what I anticipate using within the first year. Here's the list and some questions about a few items. I numbered them to make it easier to answer. Please let me know your thoughts on whether I need anything else or if you don't think an item is necessary. Will mostly do steaks, ribs, burgers, pizza and chicken to start. Also want to learn how to smoke. I have plenty of thermometers. Thanks!
  1. Large Egg
  2. Mahogany or cypress table (does either need to be finished or are they ready to go?)
  3. Table Nest (do I need a paver under the nest?)
  4. Charcoal starter - should I get the Speedlight or Electric or are they unnecessary?
  5. Flat pizza stone
  6. convEGGtor (plate setter)
  7. Half moon cast iron griddle
  8. Cast iron grid
  9. 3 Level cooking grid for large egg
  10. Heavy duty grid lifter (worth it?)
  11. Large V-rack
  12. Ash tool (worth it?)
  13. Ash removal pan (worth it?)
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    Options

To my experiance there is no need for a charcoal starter, i do use the convEGGtor, Cast iron and just ordered the grid lifter tool. Also have the ash tool, but not sure if i will use it much, last time i just took all out and cleaned it with a brush, but maybe for a large egg it could be handy.

BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    First, welcome to the forum and the lifestyle!

I also have 8... it's nice to have for searing steaks (nice grill marks) but that's about the only difference I see between that and a regular grid. I'll often sear things in my CI skillet.

I'd look at other options for 9. I create my own 2-level cooking tier with a second grid and some carriage bolts. Not sure I've ever wished I had a third level.

I don't use 11 and wouldn't buy one for myself.

If you have a shop vac (even a small one) use that to clean the ashes out of you egg and skip 12 and 13.

Not sating any of the above are definite no's as many will say otherwise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Welcome and enjoy your new LBGE.

As for the table, going by previous threads, you may want to hold off and see what your needs develop to for layout and storage.  I waited about 5 months before my husband built me one for my LBGE.  And if you check out the "table forum" you will see all kinds of tables and ideas.

#4 - the electric start works great for me.

#5 - IMO - yes - you will absolutely love how pizzas come out on the egg.

#6 - Platter setter is a must for indirect cooking, now I've seen references to "non" BGE place setters that work with the BGE but when I bought my eggs the PS was part of the package.

#7, #8 - have both and I prefer to use the CI grill and the half moon is great for reverse searing.

#9, #11 - don't have these

#10 - I think so, its easier to use when the egg is hot instead of trying to use my hands with the welder gloves and get a grip on the grill. 

dutchMiniMax, its awkward for me to remove the fire box/ring due to the weight of the pieces and I would need to stand on a step stool or on the table to be able to reach down into the egg (which my husband would tell you that that's not a good idea for me)

#13 - I have one and use it, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't - its just as messy with it.  A piece of cardboard  would work just the same or as @texanofthenorth says - a small shop vac would work better.

Lynn

Rockville, MD -LBGE, MM, Acorn by Chargriller

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I waited way too long to buy the Adjustable Rig & Spider from the Ceramic Grill Store, it is great, you won't need to buy #6 or #9. I bought the R & B Oval Combo and love it. I would also suggest getting a really good instant read thermometer, I use my Thermapen all the time, orange is the fastest.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hold off in the table as stated above. Plus if you have a little skill, you can build a much better table at less cost. 

If you use a shop vac, make sure you wait until all embers are extinguished. There was a thread not long ago with a melted vac. 

Half moon you can do the same with a CI skillet or pan. 

There are tons of ways to start a fire, torches, alcohol, oil soaked paper towels. All depends on what you want and how patient you are. 

Essentials to me are: instant thermo, indirect piece (BGE or other), some way to raise the grid. (Can be as cheap as aluminum cans, or as expensive as an AR from ceramic grill store)

good luck, welcome and enjoy!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It all depends on what you cook or plan to cook. If a lot of ribs and brisket (long cuts) buy the adjustable rig from www.ceramicgrillstore.com. This will take care of a few of your wish list. I do not have a cast iron grate anymore. If like grill marks buy a smaller grate and once again use the adjustable rig with spider and put smaller grate on spider. Getting rid of the CI grate means you don't need a heavy duty grid lifter either. It is all a matter of what you like so just roll with that. For me, adjustable rig and thermopen are my must haves
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pizza stone and platesetter for pizzas, ash tool would be convenient (i dont have one), skip the cast iron grid and griddle and buy a more useful cast iron fry pan, dont buy the bge 3 rack system(go to the ceramic grill store on line and buy the adjustable rig combo package for direct, indirect, and raised grid settups and add the spider for wok cooking).  paper towell with a few drops of veggie oil is better than electric and most other lighting methods.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I waited way too long to buy the Adjustable Rig & Spider from the Ceramic Grill Store, it is great, you won't need to buy #6 or #9. I bought the R & B Oval Combo and love it. I would also suggest getting a really good instant read thermometer, I use my Thermapen all the time, orange is the fastest.
    Thermapens are on sale today for $77 - that's about $20 off (but the back-lit ones are really great).

I use my grill lifter never, because once you have a good pair of gloves on, you don't need it.

Another +1 for the AR with spider/deflector.  I gave my platesetter to another egging friend after I got it.
    NOLA
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips. Keep them coming.  =)

Already have a few Thermapens and a ChefAlarm so covered on that front.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips. Keep them coming.  =)

Already have a few Thermapens and a ChefAlarm so covered on that front.
    Yeah, too bad you didn't mention that you had plenty of thermometers in your original post.   :s
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'm getting ready to order my first egg. Dealer is offering a good discount on accessories purchased with the egg, so I want to get what I anticipate using within the first year. Here's the list and some questions about a few items. I numbered them to make it easier to answer. Please let me know your thoughts on whether I need anything else or if you don't think an item is necessary. Will mostly do steaks, ribs, burgers, pizza and chicken to start. Also want to learn how to smoke. I have plenty of thermometers. Thanks!
    1. Large Egg
    2. Mahogany or cypress table (does either need to be finished or are they ready to go?)
    4. Charcoal starter - should I get the Speedlight or Electric or are they unnecessary?
    5. Flat pizza stone
    8. Cast iron grid
    11. Large V-rack
    12. Ash tool (worth it?)

Here are my own thoughts and opinions based on my experience and for what I like to cook.

1. Large is nice, I love my XL though.

2. Make your own, your money will go 10 times further.

3. Use a table nest, you want airspace in there.

4. Meh, I use Weber Cubes or if I need a hot raging fire I use a chimney.

5. Sure.

6. Sure.

7. Just get some CI skillets.

8. Meh. Not worth it to me.

9. Get the Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store instead.

10.  Don't have one, but I think about getting one every once in a while.

11. Yes comes in handy mostly for turkeys for me.

12. Nah.

13. Nah.

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

I should add that you should get or consider:

Meat handling gloves to remove hot turkeys, pork butts, etc.

Instant digital thermometer.

Quality charcoal.

A remote thermometer if you plan on doing low and slow cooks.

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction, you are going to spend more money than you planned to and your grocery bill will go up.  

1.) I have a large and is plenty big enough for me (depends on if you cook for large crowds a lot

2.)  Table - BGE tables are nice, well built, but expensive.  You can build on cheaper.  I however, do not have the tools for woodworking and my spare time is valuable to me.  I would rather be doing other things, so I bought a table with my egg.  You need to figure out what your crafting abilities are and if it is worth your time.

3.) No Paver necessary

4.) Starter - I have electric and it is ok, when it breaks I will get a torch

5.)Pizza Stone - Yes

6.) Plate Setter - You need something for indirect cooking.  Look at ceramicgrillstore.com setups like adjustable rig.  Figure out what kind of set up you want and that will dictate whether you need plate setter or something else to deflect the heat.  Plate Setter came with my egg, so I looked at Adjustable Rig, went with the PSwoo instead since I didnt want my platesetter not used.  (I am very happy with the Pswoo)

7/8)  Dont have them, don't feel like it is something I need, might experiment with them later.

9.) Multi-level - Again, look at ceramicgrillstore.com adjustable rig.  I went with the PSwoo and made a second tier with nuts/bolts and have been very happy with it.

10.) Grid Lifter - use mine a lot, especially when reverse searing to take grate in and out without having to take the food off.

11.) Large V-rack - I dont use mine often, but it is good if you roast turkeys or do more than two racks of ribs.  I also use mine to set the hot grate, electric starter or stone on while it cools.  Comes in pretty handy, but not necessary.

12.) Yes (unless you have shop-vac), also use it to move charcol around to make smaller pieces fall through holes before adding more lump.

13.) Ash Tool - I use a regular dust pan

Other Items:

Thermapen
    Remote Thermometer
    Meat Gloves
    Welder Gloves

Do your research and get a plan before you buy anything.  This will minimize buying accessories you don't end up using.  Problem is, you won't know exactly what you like until you start using it.  

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I didn't see welding gloves on the list, do you have any? That's in my top 5 list of 'must haves'.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HofstraJet
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have these gloves: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZGURU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage which I use for turkey frying.  Need meat gloves. Have Thermapens, infrared, and remote thermometers.

As for the table, while I have the tools and believe I have the skills to make one, I just don't have the time (really wish I did as I enjoy woodworking). Are either of the cypress or mahogany tables finished and sealed for weather and grease protection or do I have to finish them? Also see some nice ones on Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/market/big_green_egg).  Any thoughts on those?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    1. Large Egg
    5. Flat pizza stone
    8. Cast iron grid
    11. Large V-rack
    12. Ash tool (worth it?)
    Here are my thoughts and experience in the last year and a half I having my XL.

1. Large is good, but is this your only grill and do you entertain a lot.  If so you may want to look at the XL, if this is being added to your current to use then yes on the large.
    2.  I agree, build your own, unless you have no skills or someone to help you.  Mine is in rolling Egg nest, no table yet.
    3. Yes if you get the table and to create an air gap.
    4.  I have used an electric element, but it didn't last long.  I now use starter sticks.  Many ways to light the egg.  Check the forum.
    5.  Yes and get the BGE, because it is a beast and very well made.
    6. I got the convEGGtor and it has worked for me, but if I had the money at the time I would have gotten the AR with the Woo2 on ceramicgrillstore.com
    7.  I want the half moon grid myself and this.

8.  I don't have and am fine with the standard grid myself.
    9.  I made my own raised grid, but again the AR is something to think about in the future.
    10.  If you get number 9 you may want this too.
    11.  I have a $20 with a drip pan that I got from Target and it can be used for turkey's, roast and ribs.
    12.  I use mine a lot between cooks, so yes.  If you are going to clean it out all the way every time then no.  Not necessary to clean it out all the way for every cook, just pull the ash out and let it drop into a 5 gallon bucket.
    13.  If your egg is going to be in a table your will probably need this.  As I said in 12. I use a bucket to catch my ashes.

Good luck happy egging and welcome to the Eggdiction. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    The main thing I would suggest is to get on the phone and order the Woo and Adjustable rig instead of a plate setter and all the other grid raising attachments. I have been an Egg owner for 5 years (relative newbe) and just bought that setup for my XL. The price was a bit more than the plate setter (mine recently cracked) but I just threw away about 20 lbs. of junk that I had been using to do what this unit does so elegantly. If you have woodworking skills look into building your own table. You might want to look at JS Designs table if you want wood but if I were doing it over I would go with a stainless table for personal reasons.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    First off I feel bad for you with your Avatar (Long suffering X-Season Ticket holder here).....:)

Adjustable rig - I used the platesetter once and its somewhere in the shed buried.  I use the rig for every cook - it never comes out (unless loading)

I like the CI grate for a using it on a spider down low near coals for a good sear.

A CI dutch oven - For chillis, sauces, whatever

Drip pans - I use the disposable aluminum trays - after a cook or tow I chuck them if they are loaded up.

Mapp torch for quick lighting of the Egg.

Garnerville, NY
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Love the SS table idea - seriously looking into that. Easy to wipe clean and no worries about leaving outdoors year round in Florida. Found a source in LA - hopefully can find one closer to home to save on shipping. Custom built will be great too as I can have it lowered (I'm in a wheelchair and while I can reach standard height, if going custom, may as well make it perfect).

Also like the torch idea for lighting. Good stuff in this thread.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    1. Large Egg
    5. Flat pizza stone
    8. Cast iron grid
    11. Large V-rack
    12. Ash tool (worth it?)
    The grid lifter you want is
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html

Ross
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    1. Large Egg - Great starting point egg. Any smaller and you'll want to upgrade in 4-5 cooks. A large was my first Egg and then I got a 2nd large
    2. Mahogany or cypress table (does either need to be finished or are they ready to go?) - As others said, build your own.
    3. Table Nest (do I need a paver under the nest?) - Yes, get the nest for the table (if you build a table) - otherwise you can get the rolling egg nest with wings. The rolling egg nest suited my needs for many years starting out.
    4. Charcoal starter - should I get the Speedlight or Electric or are they unnecessary? Get the Looftlighter - faster lighting and cooling. Less breakage - I went through 2 of the BGE electric lighters before finding the looft.
    5. Flat pizza stone - Good, but not necessary to start. You can use the plate setter if you keep it clean for the same purpose. Just put your dough on parchment paper to start
    6. convEGGtor (plate setter)  - I think this should be a mandatory accesory. Probably the first any egger should get
    7. Half moon cast iron griddle - I have one that I've used maybe 3-4 times. They look awesome but functionality is really subpar. Get yourself a swing rack and you'll get the same effect
    8. Cast iron grid - If you get a cast iron plate setter you'll kill two birds with one stone - but I agree this is a great upgrade, but not one I would say go for right out of the gate.
    9. 3 Level cooking grid for large egg - Get the two tier swing rack from Ceramic Grill Works and you'll be set. The 3 level grid is way clunky.
    10. Heavy duty grid lifter (worth it?) - Eh, you can get away without this but it is a nice to have
    11. Large V-rack - Yes! A must for ribs in my opinion
    12. Ash tool (worth it?) - I use mine before every cook - very handy
    13. Ash removal pan (worth it?) - I can accomplish the same thing with a grocery bag, so not needed - but it is something that's usable.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

I have two accessories that I wouldn't be without. 

I absolutely would recommend  the Kick-Ash-Basket and the Claw for removing / installing the plate setter when hot. 

I like the KAB because I can remove my left-over lump for cleaning once the grill cools off.  And the Claw saves the hair on my lower arms.  It makes plate setter changes a breeze.

The claw website is below.  I have no skin in the game with either product, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.innovationsbychance.com/the-claw.html

Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    the adjustable rig combo package comes with a pizza stone. with the spider-you can use the stone instead of the platesetter- put a cooking grid on the spider and your searing right up close to the fire where its hotter, no need for the heavey prone to break castiron grid-the spider holds a wok well. comes with a drip pan, can be used with mutiple levels for ribs so no need for a rib rack for most cooks and those are inexpensive at hd anyways and no need for that 3 tier grill, most dont like those anyways. people here seem to get crazzy about fire starting methods, follow this link before buying a gadget. a roll of paper towels and your good to go for a year or two
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Langner91 said:

I absolutely would recommend  the Kick-Ash-Basket and the Claw for removing / installing the plate setter when hot. 

I like the KAB because I can remove my left-over lump for cleaning once the grill cools off.  And the Claw saves the hair on my lower arms.  It makes plate setter changes a breeze.

The claw website is below.  I have no skin in the game with either product, just a satisfied customer.

Yes on the Kickash basket - totally forgot about accesories not mentioned here. I would also bring in the Thermapen and the iGrill2.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Langner91 said:

@Langner91, will that also fit the XL Plate Setter?  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

His website says you just bend the legs out a bit for the XL. 

@pgprescott showed it to me and probably has a lot better feel for how it would work on an XL.

Clinton, Iowa
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @Ladeback69 the claw is not designed for the XL to the best of my knowledge. There are other products for removing the PS that will work. Ott grid lifter makes a SS tool for the PS that should work. I know there are others. I have a large at home and love the claw, because you can just pick it up and set it aside, no messing around. I have also wondered if it could be modified, but have not tried yet. Sorry. 
  • dtc
    dtc Posts: 24
    Options
    Ash pan and ash too are nice to have. Makes getting ash out easy.

V rack for ribs is a necessity for more than 1 rack.

If doing pizza, I would add a infrared thermometer. BGE has one. I like one with a 6:1 spot and a laser. Also get a pizza stone, which you can also use in the oven if you cannot get to the Egg. The stone is easier to clean than using the top of the plate setter.

ThermoPen is nice, ThermoPop is almost as good at half the price.

Charcoal starter - get the cardboard ones, like Seymour or Rutland -available on Amazon. Stay away from any of the paraffin ones. BGE ones are too expensive. No need for an electric one.

Cast iron pans - Lodge Pan.

Table - build your own with granite top. Use round cutout under the egg, with ceramic feet to raise it enough for some airflow.  Granite is easy to clean, impervious to heat and will last forever. If not using granite, you can use firebrick under the egg with feet to allow for airflow between egg and brick.