Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend is coming...what's cooking??

Options
Hoping the rain holds off on Sunday but I should have a full weekend of egging ahead of me.

Tonight- 2 flatbreads on the egg (made the pizza dough last night) 

1. herbed goat cheese, wild mushroom, heirloom tomato  
2. duck fat potatoes (leftovers) sharp cheddar, red onion, hot sauce

Saturday- Doing some pretty basic salmon filets and aiming to get some crispy skin with a big Caesar salad

Sunday- Smoking some beef short ribs that I will use for tostadas and then make a grilled corn and avocado salad

Can't wait to get going...love the feeling of the egg coming up to temp while I stand in my backyard drinking a cold beer. Doesn't get much better than that! 

What is everyone else up to?

LBGE

Marblehead, MA

Comments

• RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options
    Red snapper, pork chops, and spatchcock chicken
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options

chicken thighs tonight, and then a RD bone in pork butt tomorrow.

hope everyone has a great weekend!

Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sounds like a good weekend. We've fallen into a routine of picking up food Friday night. Mrs. G says she doesn't want to spend the energy preparing food and wants to spend quality time together. So we usually get something we are unexperienced at cooking. Saturday night, I'll be smoking a butt to freeze and take to the ranch next weekend. No idea what we'll actually cook for that night, but I want to get the Mini back in action. I noticed this week that the inside was covered with furry mold. I attribute that to disuse, not having a thermometer plugging up that top hole and getting all that rain in May. I already did a clean burn on it this week to take care of that issue. Sunday is usually Mrs. G's night to destroy the kitchen...I mean...cook something that she wants to eat, so its her call.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    @Griffin sounds great buddy! You made me laugh about your wife destroying the kitchen...luckily my wife leaves the cooking to me but she runs a custom cakebaking business out of our house - I feel like our poor kitchen is destroyed about every day!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I actually destroy the kitchen more than she does when she cooks and we're both pretty good at cleaning as we go so I really can't complain.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    Yesterday, I visited the butcher and picked up 3 lbs of ribs, 3 lbs of pork tenderloins, and some brats & chicken sausages. The ribs will go into the Egg wet along with a swineapple (bacon-wrapped, pork-stuffed pineapple) on Sunday morning. I've got this Trader Joe's Island Soyaki sauce I'm looking forward to trying out... I hear good things. The sausage, I'll probably grill later on.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    No clue yet... Saturday is supposed to be a washout here, and the whole family is going out to Maggiano's to celebrate Father's Day & a birthday. I am sure I'll get something on the egg at some point
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Friday night, I grilling pizzas.  Saturday, I'd like to do Copper River Salmon.   This is MY plan.  We are in the midst of a Seattle heatwave.  When it's hot, Mr T doesn't feel like eating anything heavy.  

Sunday night is dinner out with the family.     
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    @IPASooner your menu sounds amazing!!!!

• IPASooner
    Options
    @Trixie_Belle great minds think alike...pizza Friday and Salmon Saturday :)
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • eggsplorer
    eggsplorer Posts: 11
    Options
    Friday night gonna swing by Whole Foods and see if there is a cut of meat that inspires me. Sat making some goat cheese and bacon raviolis to be whipped up with a browned butter and sage sauce...so no egg on that night. Sun smoking two racks of baby backs. 

I live in northern California, any recommendations on favorite pork rubs that are readily available? I've done my own and so far not very impressed.
    1 LBGE, 1 Mini Max, 48"x36" offset reverse flow, Webber gasser
    Walnut Creek, Ca
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Tonight:
    Little Neck Clams
    Sockeye Salmon
    Chicken drumsticks
    Zucchini boats
    Corn on the cob

Tomorrow night I'm putting on a couple butts for a picnic we are going to Sunday lunch.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Large and Small getting a work out this weekend. 4 butts, a 10lb brisket flat and some wings. Will freeze the shredded pork and brisket and reheat SV style for July 4th party where I will need to celebrate 'Merica-- Alcohol and Fireworks!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I live in northern California, any recommendations on favorite pork rubs that are readily available? I've done my own and so far not very impressed.
    You can always add some brown or turbinado sugar to a non pork rub to adapt it more for pork.  Depends on what you're cooking and what temp - you don't want sugar if you're cooking really hot, but this works well for butts.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Not sure about tonight yet, maybe wings & thighs or sockeye filets.  Two butts going on late tonight for tomorrow.  Sunday is just too far away, I'll probably go freezer diving tomorrow and pull something or make pulled pork pizza with leftovers.
  • WTE
    WTE Posts: 19
    Options
    Just picked up a butt to cook tomorrow and freeze for the 4th, i've had a hankering for a good juicy burger maybe that will be for tonight if were still hungry after a afternoon wedding today.

Lynn

Rockville, MD -LBGE, MM, Acorn by Chargriller

• MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    Options
    Tonight
    Pulled pork - put two 9 pounders on at 10 o'clock last night - they are at 178 degrees now (10:32 am)
    Going to try smoked mac and cheese if time allows while the pork FTC's.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Kobe burgers tonight.
    Fajitas tomorrow. 
    72 hour sous vide w an Egg sear lamb chops on Sunday. 
    I've also got an 8lb boston butt to smoke at some point. 
  • DinnerIsComing
    DinnerIsComing Posts: 63
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dinner has been going since last night. Two Boston butts for pulled pork. BBQ rub and some chunks of apple wood and hickory. The smell is making my stomach rumble. My first time smoking on my new Egg.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle
    Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
    The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Tonight is pizza
    Saturdays we usually go out especially in June July August and September. I work at the Farmers Market selling my BBQ sauces and Sweet Tea so I am 6 days a week for 4 months.
    Sunday is Ribs,
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    Tonight
    Pulled pork - put two 9 pounders on at 10 o'clock last night - they are at 178 degrees now (10:32 am)
    Going to try smoked mac and cheese if time allows while the pork FTC's.
    Smoked mac and cheese...YUM!   I made my first last weekend.  
  • djbade
    djbade Posts: 10
    Options
    Saturday is a first go at Prime rib on the egg (still deciding if I will cook at 250 or 350) followed by a peach cobbler that will go on as soon as the meat is done.
    Kirkland (Montreal), Quebec, Canada
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My sisters wedding. I'll have to suffer through some over cooked and dried out wedding food but dessert is open bar!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    I'm making my first attempt at smoked pork steaks (cut from the Boston butt). I'm using Aaron Franklin's fig/ancho/beer bbq sauce recipe on the steaks.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That swineapple thing looks pretty promising.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Cooking up the whole top round I picked up last Saturday at RD. Have some friends coming over for hand carved beef sandwiches. Just hope the rain cooperates. Leftovers will be frozen for week night sandwiches as I'll be working a lot of OT for the next 2-3 months.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Correction to the above, I just picked up an Angus Choice brisket to put on with the butts tomorrow night. :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Salmon app tonight then buffalo drum sticks (weird combo I know). Burnt ends on Saturday. Sunday...hmmmmm, probably burgers.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Tonight is either fajitas on the XL or I am picking up Mexican take out.  Tomorrow I am cooking a couple pork roulade's for my FIL who was out of town last weekend.  Post to came later.
    Not to sure about Sunday.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • IPASooner
    Options
    Everything sounds amazing!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA