Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Dish Pizza on a Cast Iron.

Options
Got a great gift from my aunt in law who is 90 years old and had this Dutch Oven since she was young.
Since it was first time on a cast iron, didn't know what to expect. Not much left, so i guess it was good.

50/50 flour and 00
San marzanos chunky seasoned but not cooked
Pepperoni/cheese/ground meat/cheese/Course cut Bacon/cheese/ Tomato Sauce/Cheese.

Men, easier fed than understood!!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome!  Excellent job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great.    Looks better then the one I did for the Pizza Through Down.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Bravo! Well done! Your aunt-in-law chose wisely in giving her CI DO to you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Sweet! Nothing better than getting some old Cast Iron. You can pass that dutch down to your grand kids, it's a great piece!

Not to mention you have a serious range top there.

What the hell is "clistotemblado"?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    CRISTAL TEMPLADO is for hardened glass. I actually think its a waste since we never cover the range with it.

Felipe
  • steventconners20
    Options
    When you cook pizza in CI do you preheat the CI like you would a Pizza Stone?  Did you cook the pizza with the lid on the CI for a portion of the cook?  I really want to try Deep Dish and hope not to post FAIL pics.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    looks awesome!  that is some seriously manly looking pizza
    Phoenix 
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    Since the original recipe for the DDP is to pre-cook the dough for 10-12 min @400º. I followed the same steps for the CI, oiled the CI formed the dough and cooked for 12 min without the lid. Then you take it out and build the layers remembering to only put the tomato sauce on top. Then 24 min @400 uncovered.

The good thing about failures on the BGE is that 99% are edible. So go ahead and do it!

Felipe
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is the deepest deep dish I have ever seen...and it looks incredible! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nicely done!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Very nicely done
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I would destroy that beautiful looking pie right now, but I'm pretty confident you already have!  Nice job
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Super deep dish. Sweet looking pie!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin