Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken...Direct or in-Direct heat?

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a while and I forgot. How should I do tonight's chicken?[p]Phil

Comments

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    I do Chickens direct

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    I've done indirect and they came out delicious.
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Jason,[p]I'll throw in another vote for direct, but would be shooked if people don't do it indirect as well.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    P4130114.jpg
    <p />Uncle Phil,[p]I do them direct...but with a pieplate underneath
    to catch the dripping juices!![p]Soooo...I do them sort'a direct...indirectly!![p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Jethro,[p]I've done both. With indirect you can use a drip pan spaced up off the plate setter. In theory, this way the drippings don't burn and you get less grease smoke. This is important if you are cooking during a burn ban.
    Ed

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Chubby,
    Looks just like the fowl I cook...indirect.[p]I make sure the Spanek holds the neck are open. This becomes a flue for heat. Thus the birds cook inside out & outide in.[p]I cook at 225 to 250 with spritz once each hour...olive oil & apple juice are my favorite fluids.[p]

• Chubby
    Options
    Nessmuk,[p]I agree !![p]Sometimes I simmer garlic and lemon peel in olive oil, (shove a few sprigs of rosemary inside the Spanek) and spritz like you're suggesting!![p]Outstanding...and a no brainer!![p]Also..I think the Small is a better Chicken cooker than
    the other sizes![p]With the closer proximity to the sides...you get better browing and chrispier skin!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Very interesting that you've observed the small is a better chicken cooker than the other sizes... makes sense.
    I will have to try it out and compare... with my Gratemates, of course. Thanks for the idea, pal.[p]juan

• Chubby
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]That has been my experience so far... anyway. [p]"Capitol Idea"... on the GrateMates, noooooo wonder I like you!![p]I'll be seeing you soon my friend![p]Be safe.[p]Evans[p]PS...Thanks for the pic by the way, I have it under super..double secret lockdown!!
    Password required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Your welcome but... uhm, what pic are you talking about?

• terrafirmay
    Options
    Chubby,
    Hey, Evans, you're supposed to have a can of beer under the chicken - - - otherwise it's a waste of a good chicken.[p]****

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    ppal4.jpg
    <p />Uncle Phil,[p]I do mine direct, but use a Poultry Pal, so it's quasi direct. The drippings go into the pan below, but you can fill it with beer and spices for flavor infusion. It's a pretty slick deal.[p]Cheers,[p]GM
    [ul][li]See the Poulty Pal in action at the Texas Eggfest![/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Chubby
    Options
    terrafirmay,[p]Point taken...[p]But I drank it instead!![p]Evans
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    sitter2.jpg
    <p />Uncle Phil,
    I do mine direct.
    counter.jpg

• b-cup.gif
    <p />I do mine INDIRECT, and also with the pie plate for dripping.
  • Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    look! it's either praying or begging for mercy!!

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Porkchop,[p]I thought it was a neat pic, especially with the steam coming up from the inside.[p]I think it's begging for a quick carving. The folk at PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) agree. LOL

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • markh
    markh Posts: 14
    Options
    Chubby,[p]What temp to you cook your chicken at? [p]No grate mates in your pic? What's going on?[p]Mark
  • Chubby
    Options
    markh,[p]Hey stranger!![p]Loooong time no see!!!!!!!![p]Ok..well they're in there, the pieplate is resting in the GrateMates FireRing (suspending it over the fire).[p]I usually go 375,then let it run up to 400 degrees at the end.[p]I always use the Small for chicken as I think it's the best chicken cooker in the BGE lineup![p]Evans[p]Ps...you planning on Atlanta in the Fall?

• markh
    markh Posts: 14
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Thanks for the help. Your chicken is beautiful. I'm learning the small, which operates different than the large. It takes proportionally more charcoal and takes longer to get up to 400 or so. [p]I am very happy with the grate mates, sure glad you talked me into them :-) [p]I hope to see you in Atlanta in the fall,[p]Mark [p]