Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-minneapolis

Options
poster
poster Posts: 1,172
Heading to the twin cities in a few weeks with a couple kids. Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay. I think we will be visiting the mall,zoo, and valley fair, or any other suggestions if you have. Also is there any good local restaurants that are also kid friendly? I will be driving

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Mr. Pig Stuff bbq a few miles down the road from Valley Fair.  I can't tell you much about the variety of food as I only get the Pile sandwich.  It's a sandwich with brisket, pulled pork, mac & cheese, and coleslaw topped with bbq sauce inside a sandwich bun.  It awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Town Hall and Surly Brewing!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• poster
    Options

That sounds like a serious sandwich I could eat. How is valley fair now a days?

I haven't been to it in 15 years

• WeberWho
    Options
    poster said:

Valley Fair is expensive and takes time for lines but kids could care less.  Valley Fair has put in 3-4 good rides within the last 8 years. Kids will love it either way

The Radisson off 494 & Hwy 77 (not the one connected to Mall of America) has a huge water park called - Water Park of America. I've never been there but my younger cousins enjoy going there.  

Matts Bar in Minneapolis is the home and creator of the Jucy Lucy burger but others will tell you it's the 508 Club in Minneapolis. Matts is small but full of tradition.  I'd say Matts over the 508 Club but it very back and white with limited menu options.  The 508 Club is bigger and you can pick the cheese you want the burger stuffed with.  You won't go wrong either way.  It's a must if you haven't had a Jucy Lucy before

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    poster said:

Valley Fair is expensive and takes time for lines but kids could care less.  Valley Fair has put in 3-4 good rides within the last 8 years. Kids will love it either way

The Radisson off 494 & Hwy 77 (not the one connected to Mall of America) has a huge water park called - Water Park of America. I've never been there but my younger cousins enjoy going there.  

Matts Bar in Minneapolis is the home and creator of the Jucy Lucy burger but others will tell you it's the 508 Club in Minneapolis. Matts is small but full of tradition.  I'd say Matts over the 508 Club but it very back and white with limited menu options.  The 508 Club is bigger and you can pick the cheese you want the burger stuffed with.  You won't go wrong either way.  It's a must if you haven't had a Jucy Lucy before

Plus, Matts spells it right!
  • WeberWho
    edited June 2015
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    poster said:

Plus, Matts spells it right!
    Impressive @Eggcelsior You know your Jucy Lucy and the meaning behind it!  

Minnesota
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Maybe not kid friendly but Manny's is a killer steakhouse
    Greensboro, NC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    @WeberWho?, what's your opinion on Punch?  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Love punch, consider it one of my favorite pizza's ever.  True Neapolitan, I mainly went to the Eden Prairie location the original one is in downtown St. Paul.  Also for a good burger on that side of town Lyons Tap is pretty tasty as all they do is burgers and fries. Can't argue with Matts either, Love their Jucy Lucy's.  I lived in Minneapolis (Eden Prairie/Chanhassen) for over 25 years.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    When ever I go to Minnie, we make it to Fogo de Chao and Hells Kitchen. Good food. Ill have to try that BBQ place though, sound great.
  • WeberWho
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Focker You can't go wrong with Punch pizza.  The fire cooked pizza is fantastic and very low key environment. Definitely worth a stop

Minnesota
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    @poster more stuffed burger options Blue Door Pub, The Nook, Shamrocks Irish Nook, all three are better than Matt's and the 5&8.  IMO
    Edina, MN

• poster
    Options
    wow, I might have to stay a couple extra days and find a hotel with a gym, lol