Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this how a large KAB is supposed to fit?

Options
Just wanted to be sure before I added lump. Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I haven't seen one in place.  Interested in getting one.  Better airflow would come with taking out the cast fire grate. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    They had those in the demo eggs at the TO eggfest Saturday. That's what it looked like there.

Not sure I noticed any difference in cooking with it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I took out the original grate then placed the KAB in place. Works great.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    dmirish1 said:
    I took out the original grate then placed the KAB in place. Works great.
    That makes sense. The distributor probably left the original grate in place as that would go with the egg after the fest.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Yes, that looks right to me.  I run mine w/o the grate for better airflow.  Haven't noticed too much a difference in lump usage (as per the other threads).  Like the picture, my side does NOT come up much on the fire box.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Yep that looks right. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Take out the fire grate and yes.  If you take out the grate,  you have essentially a high que now. 

XLBGE 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have a high que and removed it before putting the original grate back in. I'll admit, I didn't much care for the amount of unburnt lump chips that made there way into the ash area when using it.

My first thought was to use the KAB without the OEM grate but then realized it would probably just end up like the high que with multiple chips falling through. OEM grate plus basket may reduce air flow a bit but I was willing to try it first.

Would appreciate any more comments related to my observations related to the lump chips. Appreciate it.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

You will lose a few small chips, but the nice part is that the openings are about the same size as the holes in your fire grate and firebox, so I figure the ones I lose were probably going to plug my firebox holes or fire grate holes anyway.

The absolute best thing about the KAB, IMHO, is the ability to pick up all of the lump, after the cook and cool down, give it a shake, and set it aside.  It makes cleaning the egg 100 times easier than picking through the lump or removing it by handfuls to get a thorough cleaning.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Using the KAB without the OEM grate does allow more unburnt chips to fall into the ash pit.  Using the KAB without the OEM grate also allows more radiant heat to get to the bottom of the egg. I am using my KAB with the grate in place. It creates a bit of a space between the grate and firebox sides. Seems to be enough to get all the airflow I need.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use my KAB with the grate.  I can tell a temperature fluctuation with the KAB so I feel there is no need to remove the fire grate in my opinion 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I use my KAB with the grate.  I can tell a temperature fluctuation with the KAB so I feel there is no need to remove the fire grate in my opinion 
    Can or can't?
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Can or can't?
    I can tell a temperature fluctuation with the grate in place
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    WeberWho? said:
    Can or can't?
    I can tell a temperature fluctuation with the grate in place
    I used my Medium KAB with the fire grate and I didn't like the way lump burned. Seemed to burn straight down. I put the fire grate back in and I like the burn pattern better. It don't have to relearn my vent positioning either. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I had a high-cue when I ought my KAB.
    I just dropped the basket right on the high-cue and never looked back.
    Wonderful!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    I think I'll try it with the OEM grate first and see how it goes. If it reduces the amount of unburned lump chips in the ash area then that'll be a good thing. 

So with that said, I have a used High-Que grate I received as a Christmas gift available for sale. PM me if interested.

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    UPDATE: After cooking with this configuration I see no difference. In fact, the way the basket fits allows an air gap all the way around the basket and it seems to burn just fine with the OEM grate in place. Thanks

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    We leave the stock grates in during competition cooks and notice no difference and really have not needed a wiggle rod either.  Love them because after turn in we pull the KAB and start cooling the grills down for transport.  Try doing that with no KAB.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN