Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow question

Options
Maple Egg
Maple Egg Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I’m hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction regarding low and slow. I’ve ordered a Pit Minder E-Temp from the BBQ Guru but it hasn’t arrived yet. I am itching to try pulled beef this weekend and am going to try to maintain 250 manually for an eight hour cook.

My question relates to the fumes that come off lump when first ignited. For regular cooks, 300 – 400 range, I get a good burn going for an hour before I put food on. I find that this gives me the wood charcoal flavor without the oily taste. Looking at my fully loaded large BGE, I’m thinking that as the lump burns down slowly, I’m not going to be able to avoid the oily fumes getting into the meat. Am I out to lunch here? Is it not an issue when doing long burns at 225 – 250 range? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Maple Egg

Comments

• Maple Egg
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Never did get a response to my original question but, I’m happy to report the after stabilizing the temp, I have not noticed the coal odor. I’m 4 hours into the cook and all seems to be going well.

Temperature seems to be fluctuating between 225 and 255 and I’m adjusting the egg every 45 minutes to an hour to try and maintain an even 240. I’m thinking the Guru purchase was the right way to go (I wouldn’t sleep on an over night cook). The outdoor temp today has been between 32 and 40 so it may be the cause of my stabilization challenge.

Thought I’d share a few pictures from the first 45 minutes. What follows is my setup and a shot of the 3 ½ pound beef shoulder roast. FYI, I’m north of the border and we can’t easily get a lot of the products mentioned on the forum. The wired and wireless thermometers I’m using are labeled Redi Chek but on the back model information they reference Maverick Industries? Could it be that Maverick markets these things in Canada under a different name? Hey, for $39 CDN ($30 US) they work fine and I don’t get stung with duty!

If the camera battery lasts, I’ll post final results later.

Good Egging to all,

Maple Egg
  • Maple Egg
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Never did get a response to my original question but, I’m happy to report the after stabilizing the temp, I have not noticed the coal odor. I’m 4 hours into the cook and all seems to be going well.

Temperature seems to be fluctuating between 225 and 255 and I’m adjusting the egg every 45 minutes to an hour to try and maintain an even 240. I’m thinking the Guru purchase was the right way to go (I wouldn’t sleep on an over night cook). The outdoor temp today has been between 32 and 40 so it may be the cause of my stabilization challenge.

Thought I’d share a few pictures from the first 45 minutes. What follows is my setup and a shot of the 3 ½ pound beef shoulder roast. FYI, I’m north of the border and we can’t easily get a lot of the products mentioned on the forum. The wired and wireless thermometers I’m using are labeled Redi Chek but on the back model information they reference Maverick Industries? Could it be that Maverick markets these things in Canada under a different name? Hey, for $39 CDN ($30 US) they work fine and I don’t get stung with duty!

If the camera battery lasts, I’ll post final results later.

Good Egging to all,

Maple Egg
  • Maple Egg
    Options
    Sorry about the multiple post... problem with and attachment and an itchy mouse finger!

If the pictures don't show up this time, I'll give up.

Cheers new1.jpg
  • BasementDwellingGeek
    Options
    Congrats on your cook.

It seems posts to the forum on http://www.biggreenegg.com are echoed to the forum on http://www.biggreenegg.net. But not the other way around! If you post on the .net site most people still monitoring the forum won't see your post. I was a little disgruntled when my first posting went un-noticed until I found out about the one-way echo situation. Try posting there.

rb