Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gai Yang (Thai style grilled chicken)

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
I wanted to do something different on the egg today.  So after dealing with a mess in the basement, I opened a beer and put together a marinade containing garlic, cilantro, brown sugar, white pepper, coriander, tamari sauce, and fish sauce.  3 bone in/skin on chicken breasts got rubbed in the marinade and sat in the fridge for about 3.5 hours.

I put them on indirect at 375 until they hit an IT of 145, and then pulled the indirect piece and let the temp drift up to 415ish.  I left them raised direct and flipped and rearranged as needed.  I pulled and served with a salad of arugula, baby spinach, sliced peppers, and toasted pecans.

Thanks for looking!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice..   Was there much heat?   They look damn pretty!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'd tear that plate up. Looks great.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Acn
    Options
    Thanks guys!  @mattman3969 - there wasn't a ton of heat; if it were just me, or just me and my wife, I might have added a couple of jalapeños, or a serrano, but with the 7 year old eating the same chicken, I didn't want to make it crazy spicy.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Totally understand. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice creative marinade.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Righteous! I've never tried tamari sauce the couple of times I made this, but will give it a try.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Acn
    Options
    Thanks! @caliking - do you usually use soy sauce?  I think the tamari is a little deeper and more robust.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looks really good. I've read that "Thai hot" is sort of an Americanism, and that a lot of Thai food is really rather mild, nothing like the levels of heat in Szechuan.

We happened to have a couple of meals from a place called Pok Pok. Delicious, and subtly different from anything we'd ever had. The "hot" was really pretty moderate.

There's a cookbook out for it, and several recipes on line. I found the recipe for the chicken online, spelled Kai Yaang. You might like to look it up. Fairly similar to what you made, but It calls for whole Cornish hens, or a sufficiently small chicken if you can find one. Those are stuffed with a mix using lemongrass, which added a really nice touch. One of the things that was special was that the chicken was basted with oil in which sliced shallots had slowly been browned at a just simmering temperature till the shreds were crisp. That is something I've started to use w. other foods.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Just stumbled across your post... That is top draw looking chicken.. Love the pic of the chicken marinading..Great cook and post..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Good looking cook there. I'll have to try it.
    Thanks for posting.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    That looks fantastic 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Acn
    Options
    Thanks all!  I used 7 cloves of garlic, about 15 sprigs of cilantro (stems too), 2 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp ground coriander, 3 T light brown pepper, 3 tsp tamari and 2 T fish sauce.  Just blended it all up until the consistency looked good.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Acn - I usually use soy, but tamari sounds like it would be better. Will give it a whirl some time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.