Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alabama & Big Bob Gibson bbq Sauce

Options
You guys down in Alabama, is this sauce the real deal? Blues Hog has been my "go to" sauce but I recently had 1 pulled pork sandwich with BBG sauce and it seemed very pleasant to me. I'm thinking of getting some and I see that there is a white sauce as well...any thoughts/opinions on it would be appreciated. I'll be heading to Alabama in a few days and would like to find where they sell this brand or any others if you guys have other recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Big Bob is in Decatur so not sure where you'll be.  Get some white sauce for your chicken.  They dunk it after it cooks in a huge vat of the stuff and serve it.  Great stuff.

I would think they sell that stuff in local stores all over, but locals probably know best.  Have a great time in AL!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    I'll be taking 65 S through Nashville so it looks like Decatur is along the way, thanks for the input.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have tried a bottle of the white sauce.  I was just commenting on @Griffin 's wing post with white sauce...it is definitely worth a try if you like mayo.  It is different.  4/5 in my family approved.  I think it makes a killer chicken salad with leftovers as well.  

I have not tried their regular Q sauce.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    In my opinion Big Bob Gibson's is highly overrated. I have dined there on several occasions over the years. I will agree that the white sauce is good and you can find numerous copycat recipe's on the web.  
    Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's has won a lot of BBQ awards over the years. His competition BBQ must be a lot better than the restaurant food. He manages to find his way into the media spotlight frequently. 

Give the white sauce a try.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    They sell his sauces at a lot of krogers around here

XLBGE 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    There are tons of online recipes for supposedly authentic BBG white sauce. I must have seen half a dozen posted/contributed by Chris Lilly, all claiming to be the real deal. They are all different! I tried one a few years ago after seeing a Paula Deen show where Lilly gave "the" recipe. It was okay, just a little weird on chicken.

Haven't tried any official BBG products though. Was in Birmingham once, does that count? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Chris Lilly appears to be a little full of himself sometimes. I agree that he has offered several different recipes that he claims to be authentic. I'm from the Birmingham area myself and used to get to Decatur frequently. I think at this point the Lily operation is a marketing machine. We have a saying in Alabama if a BBQ restaurant is ever awarded a "Best In Alabama" designation it's a kiss of death. You can be assured your in for some low grade BBQ if you choose to dine in an award winner.
  • ROllTIDEEGGING
    Options
    you can walk into any grocery store around here and buy the white sauce. I eat white sauce a lot.. great with chicken.  I'd try a few recipes out online and see which one you like. I find homemade white sauce is far better than the bottled..
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Interesting name you have there, why are you yelling and why so many i's?
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the insight guys! I've been told to try Natchez BBQ and Good Ole Boys??