Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

selling my BGE small , what's a good price

Options
so in April a friend gave me a BGE small.   I loved it so much I upgraded to a large.   No need for 2 , so it has a plate setter with it. Maybe used it 15-20 times what's a good price ???? 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You might want to keep that small around unless your needing the money.  The small egg compliments the large egg nicely 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Where are you located? That might make a big difference.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @WeberWho? speaks truth. There are gonna be some nights where you want to cook something small like burgers or what have you, it won't make sense to get the large up and running ... the small is perfect for these kinda cooks. I'd keep it.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I don't use my small, at all anymore.  Around here it will get $200.  I didn't feel that would be worth it to sell, so it remains an ornament on my back patio.  I would recommend keeping it because the sale is not cost effective.  The larges are the best ones to sell because of the demand.  Small eggs appeal to us weirdos on the forum, the masses are cruising craigslist mostly for the large.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @cookingdude555 - that's not the market here at all.  But you're in Utah and I'm in New Orleans.
    Options
    I don't use my small, at all anymore.  Around here it will get $200.  I didn't feel that would be worth it to sell, so it remains an ornament on my back patio.  I would recommend keeping it because the sale is not cost effective.  The larges are the best ones to sell because of the demand.  Small eggs appeal to us weirdos on the forum, the masses are cruising craigslist mostly for the large.
    What has this world come too? Using a SBGE as an ornament on a patio just doesn't seem right. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    @nolaegghead , thats good to know, its really interesting to hear about the costs in different markets.  It varies from place to place.  I listed my small and large as a combo sale last summer for $900 (various accessories included), and I got a lot of calls.  Every one of them asked me if I would sell the large only because they didnt want the small.  I eventually pulled the ad and just kept both.  I guess if even the market supports a little more, I still say keep it.  My 8 yo daughter is really interested in cooking, I will probably let her have one some day, and she thinks the small and mini are cute.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I always remind myself - what is an object worth?  Whatever people will pay for it. 

Supply and demand.  You can buy macadamia nuts for a couple bucks a pound where they grow, Australia or Hawaii or wherever.  Porcini mushrooms are cheap in Macedonia where they grow like weeds.  Heavy stuff like eggs don't travel well so I understand that can happen.  Just keep it.  Try to use it.  I use my medium more than my large. 
    Options
    Take it to FedEx or UPS and see how much they charge to ship it, and you'll understand why your market is strictly local for this potential sale.

I'd drive 100 miles for it, from Indianapolis, if that helps. I have a large, and I use it almost daily in the summer, it makes no sense to use both the oven and the air conditioner simultaneously, - if I had a small, I'd use the large for dinner and the small for lunch.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Mexirican
    Mexirican Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm in Chicago.  BGE on Craigslist last at most 24 hours . Big market and I'll never use both so keeping the large and letting someone else have the fun 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    If you were within 100 miles of me, I would leave work to come get it right now.  If you are heading to SE PA, let me know. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I'm glad I asked; as you can see there's a lot of rationality to these things. You're also reasonably close tome, so maybe we can make a deal.

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Was that table built for two larges?  We shall see how long you can stare at that empty hole before another large occupies it ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mexirican
    Mexirican Posts: 19
    Options
    My wife threatened me.  I bought the large off of craigslist table came with couldn't say no 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No need for 2????? Hell, only two of us and have 4 Eggs. Always a need for another Egg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Smoke a butt. Then crave an appetizer. You will immediately know why you need two.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    Just bought my second Egg this past weekend at the DizzyFest8. Everyone needs at least two of these. For that exact reason @Thatgrimguy.  Everyone.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would keep it.  I have been bugging my wife for months to let me get a small or a MM.  I would use it more during the week and use it for sides when cooking something on my XL.  Looks like a good setup to me, but if you are cooking for more then 4 a night I can see it. Ask @badinfluence about multiple eggs.  I think he is up to 14 now and a food truck. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd keep it as well . So much quicker to temp then the large when you just want to do a couple of steaks, burgers , brats. Etc. More efficient on charcoal as  its less mass to heat up. And really that table wouldn't look right without the second egg.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'd keep it. The minimal $$ gained from the sale wouldn't be worth it IMHO. Use it on smaller cooks vs an ornament.  :peace: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Got any vacations coming up where you'll drive? Think about trying to take your Large with you... then see how nicely that little egg fits in the trunk.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.