Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making -vs- Buying a BGE Table

Joshua Kane
Joshua Kane Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello:[p]My wonderful wife wanted to surprise me for our wedding anniversary earlier this week, so the took me to the place where I purchased my BGE. She wanted to buy me a table for the egg, as right now he is sitting in a nest, and has not egg-mates for holding things.[p]I started looking at the prices of the tables, and figured I could build one for maybe 1/2 of what they we asking. I have seen some of the tables that folks like The Naked Whiz have put together, and I was curious to see if you folks thought this could be accomplished by a novice wood worker.[p]I believe I have all the proper tools, but I am a bit hesitant to pick up all the lumber if the table construction is a more advanced job. let me know what you think, and links to detailed instructions would be helpful[p]-- Joshua[p]

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Joshua Kane,[p]You saw the picture, now you have to read the book . . .
    [ul][li]NW Table building[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Joshua Kane,
    You can see all of the detailed pics of the build of my table/kitchen. It`s not a portable table by any means, but may give you some ideas...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Joshua Kane,[p]I considered building a table but being a novice myself I opted for the BGE table as I was going to spend about 60% on the supplies (assuming I didn't make any mistakes). Knowing that it would probably take me twice as long as someone that knew what they were doing I decided to buy and spend the saved time on cooking![p]Good Luck!
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Joshua Kane,
    Make it yourself, I just did mine about 2-weeks ago, I just went off of the BGE plans, but modified it some, like making it taller, longer and wider, also you can make one so much more mobile, I tore my BGE in the garage and roll it out when I cook, you can also make them more strurdy and heavy duty for instance I used solid cedar 1 by's and used cedar 4 x 4's for legs and used 8" pnuemantic wheels and stainless steel grk screws all top of the line, I think I got 150 buck in my table, but mostly the satisfaction of it being my creation and the good feeling of listening to everyone comment on how great it looks, I wish I was technically advanced and new how to post a picutre, e-mail me if you have any questions, good luck Jason

• BGE_table.jpg
    <p />Joshua Kane,[p]
    I would try making your own. I bought my first EGG a few months ago. My roomate and I built a pretty decent table out of 2x4's. I've got 80 dollars in the table. It isn't fine wood by any means but it is functional and that is all I was looking for.[p]Here is a picture from day1 of my Egg... just minutes before i fired it up for the first time.[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    actiondcpd,
    Is it alright if I include your photo on my website?[p]Thanks!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Sure, no problem.[p]
  • Joshua Kane,
    My wife bought me a table as a Birthday present. After looking a the table I think I could have made it for very little money. I have made a number of shelving units from 2X4s and plywood that are similiar. I would suggest buying a power miter saw for the project. You could probably include the cost of the saw with the materials for the table and still save over the cost of a ready made table. Also, I use the power miter saw all the time. It's my most used woodworking tool.
    Rich

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Joshua Kane,
    If you have a few basic tools and a little woodworking know-how you can build one yourself. The advantages are numerous as noted in previous posts, but you can also make it fit your particular needs. For example, you may want to incorporate a sink or refrigerator or drawers or a surface that would not stain or burn. Or you may want to add an electrical outlet or lighting. The list of possibilities is limited only by your budget and imagination. If you look closely at the ones on The Naked Whiz's site you will see a large assortment of creative ideas that gives each one a separate personality that makes it special to the owner.[p]One other thing to consider... if you are like the rest of us you will surely want a second BGE at some point in the future. Keep that in mind when you design your table.[p]Good luck and be sure to share photos when you build it.[p]Spring "Semi-Professional Sawdust Maker and Frequent Band-Aid User" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• The Naked Whiz,[p]Man, I thought it took 3 mths to make one of those things. I guess it depends on whose plans you follow huh? He probably doesn't have very much bracing on that thing though.[p]Just kidding man.
  • Joshua Kane,
    For the money that you will spend on the pre-built table you can make yourself a masterpiece. Check out the table gallery on the Naked Whiz's web site to get ideas. If you need any advice shoot me an e-mail or post a question as everyone here is ready and willing to help.

[ul][li]Table Gallery[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Retired RailRoader,
    Nice tables! You guys that put tile on top of your table....what do use underneath the tile for a base?? Exterior plywood???

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    "If you have a few basic tools and a little woodworking know"[p]That was me. I looked at a few of the tables posted on this forum and dove in. First one was ok but I then made some modifications. And then some more. Tore it down and made a new one. More modifications. Then bought a small to go with my large. You know the story - more mods.[p]Scrapped table #2 and built #3 out of wire selfing. A few mod's later - just want I want. Umm - wait, I just thought of a mod.[p]Do it your way........[p]Toy Man
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Toy Man,[p]Your tables look like they might be the shelving sold at Costco - six foot units that can be set up as two 3-foot units. Other places probably sell the same kind of shelves, of course. The simplicity appeals to me but I gotta wonder if they are chromed steel or stainless? If just chromed, are they under cover and, if not, how do you protect them from weather?
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    They are 2' x 4' wire shelving. Chromed steel AFAIK.[p]I have them under a roof but would not worry about them rusting if they were in the open. Some rain blows in on them - no sign of rusting so far.[p]Toy Man
  • gene,
    Thank you for the compliment. I used 3/4 exterior plywood under the tiles on both tables. The tiles were then secured to the plywood with exterior silicone caulking.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Curly,[p]Bracing is overrated. :-)
  • Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Retired RailRoader,
    Thanks for the info.....I'm wondering if there's not a market for tiled tables for fellow eggers....maybe someone good with carpentry/tile could sell them at eggfests.....