Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One hinge cinch stud fell out - big deal?

Options
Noticed a loose cinch stud & acorn nut last night. I could spin it with my fingers and then during my pizza cook I raised the dome and it fell to the ground. Is this big enough of a deal that I need to loosen the top band and replace. I'm hoping the stud just somehow over time worked its way out but I suppose the hole in the band is too large which would mean the entire band assembly would need to be replaced.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Are the metal parts still in warranty? 
    Does the stud thread into the band? If so, maybe put in back in with epoxy  (jbweld or other)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't believe the stud threads into the band, maybe when new... not sure. Either the shoulder on the stud has deteriorated or the hole in the band is too big now. 

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    I guess check with a dealer or find a welder.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,366
    Options
    You need a new stud is all. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • MediumRarely
    MediumRarely Posts: 270
    Options
    If I am not mistaken, the "bolt" is threaded rod welded to a thin disk.  The bolt is inserted thru the band(s) from the inside so that the threads stick out.  The acorn nut is then threaded onto the bolt and torqued.  This design allows assembly of the band to mate flush to the ceramic surface.

It appears your issue is with the weld.  Corrosion (galvanic, etc.) or just a bad weld to begin with, combined with annual torquing probably just sheared it off.  The bands don't have threads - way too thin.

You will need a new stud, remove the band and reassemble.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited June 2015
    Options
    One of mine came out after I got my egg. My dealer got me a bolt kit I replaced it. No welding required. If your egg is less than 5 yrs old then the bands should be under warranty. Check with your dealer for new studs. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    You just need a new stud is all. The flat plate that holds it tight to the bands is really weak. I broke three of them putting mine together. Kind of a cheap part. 
    NW IOWA