Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pitmasters - Charcoal choices

Options
Anyone watching this season?  I enjoy the show, but I was surprised to see the choices of charcoal used.  I know that Kingsford is a sponsor, but was still surprised to see one of the contestants using Kingsford's competition charcoal when it is not a requirement of the contest.  I was even more surprised to see one of the contestant's using Frontier charcoal.  They did not mention Frontier by name like they did with kingsford, but the bag was clear as day. I can't fathom that accomplished Q'ers that spend thousands to compete on the circuit, using top of the line cookers would use a charcoal that is not and really doesn't even pretend to be top of the line.  Why leave anything to chance?  Did anyone else catch this?
Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
Downingtown, PA
LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just like I don't think the BGE has a huge affect on the result, I don't think charcoal affects the result as much as we might think.  I look at it like golf.  An amazing golfer will improve their game a little bit with the best clubs available.  But they will destroy the enthusiast that shows up with the most expensive gear, even while they might have the oldest clubs themselves.  My dad destroyed people with the latest clubs while using his old wooden drivers and irons from the 70's.
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    I hear you @cookingdude555 and thanks for your response.  Of course, the pros in golf aren't using mid level clubs when they are on the tour.  They are using the best equipment available because they are going against other pros.  I acknowledge and agree that it's more about the cook than the gear, but when you are in a competition where everyone is also supposed to be top notch, you want every advantage.  We eggers can usually tell a difference in our own cooks (at least we believe we do) when we use different coals and devote hundreds of posts about what is wrong with Royal Oak, which to me is comparable to Frontier and, imho, better than Kingsford because of the ash factor if nothing else,  so it surprised me that pros on national TV trying to build a rep and going for some real money did not bring top of the line stuff.  And for full disclosure, I use Frontier sometimes and even bought some today, but I would not use it for even a friendly neighborhood rib competition, much less on bbq pitmasters.

Or maybe we are all crazy and the charcoal just don't #$@?/ matter. :|
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Personally I think that quality lump is much more noticeable when used in a BGE as opposed to other cookers. I've found that a less than premium lump like RO will impart a sooty flavor in the (relatively) airtight confines of the egg, however I would use without hesitation in my webber smokey joe. Same to a lesser extent in other cookers like offsets ect. 

Now ive never cooked on some of the massive (and I'm sure also air tight) units they use on that show, so I may be completely off base here, but that'd be my (slightly) educated guess
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Frontier could be sponsoring that guy....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't watched it this season but it also depends what kind of cooker they are using.  They may be using wood as the primary fuel source and the charcoal is just to get a fire going.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I've been watching the all star shows and saw someone using an egg with those briquets. Here on this board, that would be no no, but not everyone is on this board and thinks like that.

If I had access to some of those "same as natural lump" type briquets, I'd try them out, but I'm not going to purchase a whole bag to do so.

Then again, all I use is RO so what do I know........  :o
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt, one competitor did exactly what you suggested and just used kingsford to get the wood going, but if I recall correctly, there were still coal based smokers using kingsford and frontier.  And I can believe the argument that the egg needs better fuel than most cookers because of the air control, but if I were the competitor, I would still be using the best fuel, even if I was using a leaky cooking vessel. The only explanation given that would change my mind if I were the competitor is if I was sponsored by a charcoal company.  That raises the question of why a supposed bbq all star would need or want sponsorship from a product that is not top tier, but I guess all money is green when you don't have any.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've been to a couple of BBQ competitions. Bunch of people use Kingsford in the firebox to at least start it, some run it the whole time, and then add wood for smoke. It was kinda surprising.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I just watched a Recorded episode this morning. One of the cooks they had to use Kingsford and only had 30 minutes to cook. 
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    QingEsq said: The only explanation given that would change my mind if I were the competitor is if I was sponsored by a charcoal company.  That raises the question of why a supposed bbq all star would need or want sponsorship from a product that is not top tier, but I guess all money is green when you don't have any.
    If the sponsorship is free charcoal, that adds up, if you are cooking week in, week out, multiple times a week. The rigs most of the people on this show use have a lot more space that an Egg, the flavors may not concentrate as much in something that size.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA