Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Al Roker Egging on the Today show

Options
Mom texted this morning to say that she saw Al Roker showing off pizza and brisket from the BGE on the Today show this morning.  Found the link here. He also posted his brisket and pizza recipe.  
For the brisket, it looked like he had the platesetter legs up and then put his smoking wood on the platesetter, rather than putting the wood on the fire.  Anyone try this? 

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Probably for that for TV purposes.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Kamado cookers/BGE are getting  very popular  lately.  I watched the cooking channel  and Rev Run uses a BGE.   Bobby Flay uses a BGE  on his  bbq show.  I even  saw a  kamado  cooker on an Ace hardware  commercial.   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I didn't notice wood on the platesetter, I think that was just brisket drippings.   I could be wrong but won't watch it again with that annoying siren whistle going off in the background!  Ugh.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.   Good to see the BGE stoke from Al.  Even though he doesn't get money from them personally, I bet NBC does!  Some serious product placement and someone brought three brand new XL eggs down to the plaza this morning.  I know it wasn't Al!  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is interesting.  He should come on the forum- we could give him some tips ;).  For example, he was cooking the pizzas with a stone direct on the grid.  That might work for 1 pie, but you will end up burning the 2nd.  

I don't think he was putting chips on the plate setter.  I think that was just drippings from the briskey.  I don't think the plate setter would get hot enough to burn the chips, unless you were cooking really hot. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options
    That siren thing was the worst. 
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Well what do you know...next thing you will see him at the Dead's final shows in Chicago! Go big Al!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
    Was it a smoke alarm?  

Al is cool and he's passionate about his egging!
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    I saw it.  Great publicity for Eggs that's for sure !  Not sure if those eggs had seen any temp over room temp though...
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    He needs a to use a Cazzy knife.... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Nice publicity for BGE and yes that is drippings from the brisket not wood chips.  I liked it when the one lady said it looked easy and was going to get a BGE.  I may do pizza on the egg tonight.  Will see, I have been planning on it for a week now.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    I saw it.  Great publicity for Eggs that's for sure !  Not sure if those eggs had seen any temp over room temp though...
    Agreed. There were coals in the bottom of one, but I don't think any of them were lit. Looks like they took cooked food and put them on cold grills for looks.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    I just re watched it- lots of gals gonna be buying eggs for Father's Day.  
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I like Eggs. Roker, not so much. 

I must be a denier I guess. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'm just impressed he referred to the plate setter by it's proper name instead of the new term....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I guess I like Roker since the buckeye doesn't. 
    Options

Why are you denying that Al is an egghead?
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    I guess I like Roker since the buckeye doesn't. 
    Who is Roger?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options

Al was rocking three Eggs.   Claimed he was not a paid endorser. Virgin gaskets and platesetters! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited June 2015
    Options

Al was rocking three Eggs.   Claimed he was not a paid endorser. Virgin gaskets and platesetters! 
    Of course they are going to give Al new stuff for TV purposes. @THEBuckeye you don't have to be so cynical. A quick google search told me pretty quickly that he was a legit egg owner. Here's an Instagram pic of Al using a "slutty" gasket. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options

They probably called up Big Green Egg and asked for a few eggs to show on TV. The ones on camera are likely used as the display so it looks good on TV and maybe they cooked the food off camera on other eggs.
    It's not like the cooks at EggFest show up with their own eggs. They are provided brand new eggs to cook on and those guys/gals know how to cook on an egg.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I'd buy that XL at a discount with warranty. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I just watched this and noticed in the egg with the brisket that the fire ring is sitting on top of the plate setter. The PS was legs down on the firebox. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    bo_mull said:
    I just watched this and noticed in the egg with the brisket that the fire ring is sitting on top of the plate setter. The PS was legs down on the firebox. 

Seriously though, that seems like a sure way to crack the base/dome. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pretty cool plug for a product we ALL love and use. Not to mention he didn't puss out and bake pizza at at low temp and went straight up real world egghead pizza temp. And when he he slid the pie off I thought for a second he's gonna lose it or the toppings are gonna tumble off (happened or happens to all of us at some or one point).   I think it would be cool if he was on here. Why not?  I know he had gastric bypass surgery..... But he looks so much better at this weight. He's eating healthier and home cooked meals all thanks to the egg. Why not support it rather than heckle him.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I for one, am not heckling him. Anyone who cooks on an egg is good in my book. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I think he did this last August. There was a story also that he bought a few for his co hosts. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • ChillyWillis
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nope this happened today. BGE posted the link on their Facebook page today saying it happened this morning. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I don't believe those grills were hot - there was no smoke at all when he opened the lids and no heat coming from the vents. Notice, he left the pizza on there and at 700+ it would start to smoke after 3-4 minutes (remaining time in that segment). 

Very good plug for them though!!