Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to do ribs on a gasser

Options
I might have to do some ribs on a gasser soon.  So what do I have to do on gasser to get similar results to my Egg?  I assume I have to do indirect somehow by covering the grill with heavy duty foil.  After that, not sure.  Add water pan since a lot of moisture will escape?  Spray them once in a while?
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    For gasser - do them at 225 in the oven and then finish/sauce them on the grill.  I could never get mine that low - (pre-BGE).
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Hopefully the gasser has multiple burners with controls for each?  On a newer Weber for instance, it has 3 burners - left, middle and right.  I would turn on either left or right and leave the other two off.  That way you can still do indirect heat.  Then take the grate off above that burner that's on and put a foil pack full of wood chips on it.  It's not the same as a real smoker but it'll at least give you some smoke flavor.  When you're making the foil pouch poke random holes in it for the smoke to escape.

The chips won't last real long so you'll need to refill if you want more smoke.  It's not going to be nice blue smoke, though, so 1 pouch is probably going to be enough for ribs. 

XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Only ignite one burner. Set ribs on opposite side. Foil pack with chips on top of burner for smoke. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'd curl them like people do with a mini.  Then use only one of the burners to create indirect heat.  Put some wood chips in a heavy duty foil loaf pan for smoke.  Rotate them around to prevent burning.  After a couple hours, I'd unroll them and grill them on low heat flipping every 5 minutes to prevent burning.  After a couple flips, start mopping with sauce, flipping as needed to prevent burning, while it cooks the sauce onto the ribs. 

They won't be fall off the bone, but if you put in some prep time upfront and trim away a lot of the fat before cooking, they'll be pretty good. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I used to put them to one side with lowest or no heat and the opposite side I'd have the burner at just below medium or enough to maintain 225℉-275℉ and would sometimes have a small water pan for more moisture in the pit area. Same test for doneness. If saucing I do toward the end just like the egg. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Can you pre-cook them on the egg and simply reheat on the gasser?
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I like the oven idea or the precook on the Egg and then throw onto gasser later.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    oh I like the idea of only lighting one side for lower temp and indirect!  Thanks guys!
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Downr@nge
    Downr@nge Posts: 83
    Options
    in addition to what others have said, if your gas grill has a bunch of air holes or leaks, I would try my best to plug all of those holes with aluminum foil to get a good seal.  Yes, I know with some gassers you can control the temp with the dial but in some it just says low, medium, high.  

I plug all the air leak holes with foil as I found it helped with temp control.  
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    How many racks are you doing? I would use the light one side technique and stack the ribs on top of each other then rotate them every half hour until you think they are ready to finish. Then lay them individually on the non lit side and sauce if desired.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    Put the gasser on the curb and go get an Egg. Or a remote Egg.

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I've frozen almost totally cooked ribs and finished on the egg at a later date with great results, so maybe try just reheating on the gasser. I couldn't tell the difference and no one else knew anything.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've done it before. Heat only one end with smoke chip grate over fire (or chips in foil with holes poked in top). Raised grate on bricks on the other end with a water tray under the meat. Put foil in the back of the grill from the inside to kind-of close up the big opening by the lid. Do that till you get a decent smoke on it and then do a foil crutch and put it in the over to finish it off. Or finish in the grill if you want.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.