Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with first whole chicken

Options
mjk412
mjk412 Posts: 113
I wanted to cook my first whole chicken tomorrow. Should I brine or not? Should I use a a vertical toaster and baste every so often?  I was going to use apricot wood for smoke. Any tips or recipes would be great. 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you are using the roaster stand put the chicken on upside down. Meaning put the feet in the air. The heat up higher in the dome will help get the thighs done the same time as the breast plus all that fat from the thighs will baste the breast meat and make it crazy juicy.  I would worry with basting. The wood sounds fine but go light handed as poultry will absorb smoke quickly.  Cook indirect about 400-425. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    No brine, spatchcock with coarse salt and pepper and enjoy. Do it simple first and expand from there on your next cook
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    You're going to love it.

Definitely brine it - it makes a difference. Clear a space in the fridge for the container, and don't put hot brine on your bird - let it cool off to room temp even if you have to add ice to it.

After brining, throw that water away and dry the chicken really well, I put it in the fridge after towel drying it - it's low humidity in there and helps dry it up.

Separate the skin from the breast with your fingers, and insert some good poultry seasonings in there. Marjoram, rosemary, chives, paprika, whatever you have. Rub all that flavor onto the breast really good, and place the skin back up against the neck. Don't be afraid to experiment, mayonnaise on the outside of the skin will give you a very nice browned and edible skin.

I use a soda can half filled with apple cider vinegar on my chicken "stand". I put a lemon or apple or orange in the neck cavity to seal in that steamed vinegar after sticking that can up the other end.

Indirect 20 minutes per pound at 350f.

Don't forget a drip pan with just a little water or your platesetter will smoke the drippings and provide an unpleasant added flavor.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Just re-read ; you want to smoke a chicken?  Drop back to 250f, apricot is a good wood for fowl, and extend your cook time to whenever the thigh gets to 180f.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.