Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size egg do you think this is?

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum

Seems like a medium, I haven't called to check yet, will in the morning.

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I would have guessed medium or small, but it's tough to tell because there isn't anything in the photos to offer perspective. I like the cool old metal stand!

Cobwebs in an egg.... It's almost enough to make a grown man cry. 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd say small, the thermostat would look a bit smaller if it was a medium, but my eyes have been known to play tricks on me
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I've been staring at it some more, and believe its more medium than small.  The DFMT on the medium is the same size as it is on the large, and it looks big on this example.  I am too lazy to get out of bed and go outside and stare at the small and medium for comparison.  This is why you should not take a tablet to bed.

Anyway, hoping its available tomorrow (I doubt it, listed for $225), and also hoping its a medium, thats my favorite egg.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,200
    Options
    Small... medium has 4 screws on inlet, small has 2.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    It's a small. Count the steel rods on the cooking grid. It's 3/4" spacing. Also the daisy wheel is a hair taller with straighter sides than the larger daisy wheel. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think small is probably right.  Passing .. (she hasn't texted or called me back anyway)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hopefully someone with more experience will comment on the stand. 

Think I remember seeing where the expansion and contraction from normal cooking caused the base to crack right around the top ring with this type of stand.  Without a warranty, you could fine yourself having to buy a new base.  The base is the most expensive part of an egg at about 45~50% of the cost.

Also, the fire grate looks to be ceramic ... which means an older egg.  Maybe @RRP can comment on how old.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• cookingdude555
    Options
    It's definitely old. The mini I bought had the same ceramic fire grate and old style hinge. If it was a medium I wasn't afraid of the warranty issue because of the cost savings. Small doesn't make sense at that cost tho. I'm already looking to unload my small this summer. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Small - two give aways - the scissor style band with the bale style handle and the size of the old style ceramic grate. That looks precisely like the 5.5" one I still have - but no longer use that came in my small that I bought in July, 2000. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Small - two give aways - the scissor style band with the bale style handle and the size of the old style ceramic grate. That looks precisely like the 5.5" one I still have - but no longer use that came in my small that I bought in July, 2000. 
    By comparison - the small and the large grate

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    By comparison - the small and the large grate

Nice eye Ron
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I would not use that stand if you get it. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/810659/my-mini-just-died
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hey @ads75 , that's the thread that I remembered reading.  Thanks.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• cookingdude555
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I got a hold of him. It's a medium. Picking it up in the morning. 
  • RRP
    Options
    I got a hold of him. It's a medium. Picking it up in the morning. 
    Then I humbly apologize, but I swear that ceramic grate was from a small and like others said the metal grill/grate also appears to be from a small. I wonder...could it be...
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    He said it has a 15" grid. We will see tomorrow I guess. If it's a small, I will leave it, medium, it has a new home.