Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry rub

Options
i am doing baby back ribs for the first time on me green egg. Any good dry rub recipes and pearls on cooking?

Comments

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You'll get 1000 different opinions on rubs and 100s  on technique. All are good too. I like a rub with not much salt, some brown or turbinado sugar and the rest is up in the air. Below is a very general, basic dry rub. It's from BBQ Bible Web site but it's a good place to start. Play with it and make it your own. For store bought rub I like Bone Sucking Sauce Rub, it's easy to find and pretty good. My all time favorite is Souther Soul Dust. But it's only available at Souther Soul BBQ restaurant or site. Www.sothernsoulbbq.com.

Technique? I'll let someone else answer. My ribs are either awesome or just okay. But low and slow and foiled near the end seem to produce good results. 

Welcome to the insanity. 

1 cup sea salt
    1 cup brown or white sugar
    1 cup sweet paprika
    1/2 to 1 cup coarsely ground or cracked black peppercorns
    3 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
    3 tablespoons granulated onion powder
    1 tablespoon celery seed.

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Never ask about rubs! People will explode with opinions.   I've found that I get better results just buying high quality commercial rubs.  They have access to ingredients that I don't. They have done all of the experimenting, so it's cheaper in the end.  Even competition cooks prefer to use commercial rubs.  That being said I like DP, Meatchurch, Oakridge,  and Bonesucking.  As far as cooking them goes,  there are 100 ways to do them.  The 2-2-1 method seems to work for a lot of people.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • therealhaddock
    Options
    If you in the UK try The Rib Man. Proper stuff.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome!
    Visit AmazingRibs site and look for Memphis Dust, excellent place to start if you want to "build your own". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you have really good pork, just S&P will do, but pork rubs tend to be mostly sugar. Lots of paprika, which doesn't add a lot. Garlic and onion powder. A touch of cayenne. That is the basic, everything else is to one's own taste.

Dome temp anywhere from 250F to 350F. Cook raised, indirect. 250 may take 5 hours. 350, much faster, possibly as quick as 2 hrs. I cook between 250 and 275. I keep the temp as even as I can (not hard) and don't peek till about 4 hours. I do not spritz, but may brush on a little extra fluid towards the end, and a bit more rub. If you like sticky wet ribs, wait till the last 15 min, and brush on the sauce.

Really, its not hard w. an Egg to get better than average results. Don't stress it. I did some a week ago, and for some reason, the temp dropped down to close to 200F while I was napping. Had to bump the temp up to 300, and they still were not tender enough at dinner time. But over all, the taste was fine, and the leftover re-heated the next day were even better.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I have used Texas Rubs and Pizzy Pig for years but have recently tried Malcom Reed's Killer Hog BBQ Rub for change of pace. Lots of paprika and cayenne. 
    LBGE and Mini
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    MEMPHIS DUST RECIPE
    Yield. Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
    Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
    3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons rosemary powder

GWN
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    +1 on Memphis dust, used it many times with good results.

Meathead doesn't include salt in his rubs. He reccomends salting the night before, then applying the rub before cooking. He explains his reasoning in detail on the website. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dizzy pig dizzy dust
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    +1 on Memphis dust, used it many times with good results.
    +2 on the Memphis Dust.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX