Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poke Sallet... plus THE best way to pull poke!

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
Well, not real poke sallet, more of a pork salad. :) Like chicken salad or ham salad, but with a pork roast. I honestly don't believe I have ever had any before, but "ever" is a long time, so who knows? Anyway...

I had a small piece of leftover pork from the other night so I decided to try it.

Couple of differences from my usual chicken salad. First, and you have GOT to try this... take the piece of meat (pork loin, butt, shoulder, chicken, beef roast - anything you want to shred like pulled pork) and cut it into chunks. They don't even have to be small chunks! The single piece I had was about 4"x2"x2" and right out of the fridge. It had not been cooked to a pullable temp either. Put it in the bowl of your stand mixer, add paddle attachment, speed 1, maybe 2 until it's almost where you want it. then add your sallet ingredients and mix a bit longer. Texture is so much better than chopping the meat with a knife! And forget shredding cold meat with two forks! I saw this video a while ago (maybe here?), but kept forgetting about it. I will NOT forget again! I'm tempted to run out and get a butt just so I can do this for pulled pork tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEX5coddlUs

The second thing I did differently was to use fat free Fage brand plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo. I feel healthier already! =) It was delicious - hard to tell I used yogurt instead of mayo.

The rest of the ingredients were the usual - onion, celery, fresh lemon juice and a dollop of dijon mustard.

Try the yogurt substitution sometime. You may be pleasantly surprised. And you DEFINITELY have to pull out the mixer next time you want to shred meat. No muss, no fuss and quick! I'll still use my bear claws to take large pieces off the egg, but never again for pulling meat. Never much liked 'em for that anyway! 

Almost forgot... poke sallet with a loaf of fresh baked bread...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments