Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Pounds?

Options
How many pounds of Pork Butt does a guy need to feed 25? How much do I lose when the bones come out? Assuming I have a few 8 lb era that aren't touching, I'm looking at 1-1.5 hours per #

Comments

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I figure a 1/4 lb per woman 1/2lb per man and that's ballpark, I'm sure someone else will know better....... I also guesstimate you'll probably lose 2 lbs off the 8lb butt.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    yeah...maybe 1 to 1.5hrs per lb....I cook to 200degrees whenever that is. :)
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I would expect more loss than that. Probably use as high as 50% on a bone-in butt.  You want to error on the side of caution.  Nothing wrong with leftovers, but you don't want hungry people with empty plates staring at you.

# of people X serving size = Cooked Meat, then multiply times 2 to get amount Raw meat needed

For Example: 

25 people X 6 oz serving = 9.375 lbs of cooked meat then multiply times 2 = 18.75 lbs of raw meat

4 oz servings - 12.5 lbs raw meat
    6 oz servings - 18.75 lbs raw meat
    8 oz servings - 25.00 lbs raw meat
    and so on......

It will depends on mix of crowd (men,women,children). Also, if you are doing sandwiches or plates, amount of sides and desserts.  

If it is an informal event and people will serve themselves, you go through more.  Also, if people will be there for a while and get seconds (or thirds) you will go through more.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    We did 3 x 6-8lb butts for 40-45 men/women/children