Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Shoulder Question

Options
Bwill
Bwill Posts: 102
I put a shoulder on at 4 am.  I thought I had temp dialed in pretty good and went to bed.  Woke up and grill temp was at 375.  Shoulder internal temp was 170.  I was planning on it cooking another 12 hours.  I have dialed my BGE back to try to slow it down.

I know it may have a stall left in it.

Any other thoughts or suggestions for slowing this down?  Trying to save the final product.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I would wrap it well at this point. You probably have enough bark. At this point you need to retain moisture. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Just go with it. Shoulders are forgiving. If it's done too soon then wrap in foil then in towels and into the cooler. I've kept as many as 3 shoulders in the cooler for 5 hours and a little and still burned my fingers when I pulled them.

You should be fine.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    So, you went turbo ;) no big deal. close it down (not totally), let it come back down and you will still have really good PP. 
  • Bwill
    Options
    195 is the temp correct?
  • Bwill
    Options
    ^Target internal temp.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    195° is when I start checking for doneness. When the bone pulls free or when a probe goes in with no resistance, it's done.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I pull closer to 205.

Above 350, there is no stall. At that temp, the water comes out pretty fast.

I've FTC'd a 205 butt, and it was still 160 at 4+ hours.

If it drops to 140 before you want to serve it, pull it, bag it w. a little extra butter, and put it in a crock pot w. water at 140. Should hold another few hours without drying. Alternative ly, chill, and then reheat. There should not be too much difference in texture, and the flavor may improve some.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @Bwill you are very close at 195. Wiggle the blade bone  and if it pulls out easy than you are done. In my experience they are done between 196 and 203. If it does not have a bone, then stick a wooden skewer in it and it should go through with little resistance. Good luck!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Bwill
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Great help as usual.