Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - knife restoration advice needed

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
This just arrived in the mail from my Dad today.  Until this week, I never knew this knife existed.  His uncle gave it to him when he joined the Boy Scouts and he later gave it to his brother in law, before I was around.  He recently got it back after my uncle died.  My Dad is 84.

The knife is marked both Remington and DuPont on one side and RH32 on the other.  I looked it up and it looks like they were made between 1933-40.  I doubt it's worth much, just special to me.

So my question is this, what should I and what can I do to the leather?

How about the blade?  Save the patina?  Just sharpen it?

Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Skinning knife?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Options
    Could be, kind of looks like it.
  • Legume
    Options
    Bump for the morning crowd.  Any advice is welcome.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Leave the patina. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Tenderizer
    Tenderizer Posts: 24
    Options
    My father restores knives and has a display full of your treasure. If you want to preserve the value, don't polish the blade with anything, just oil it. I'm checking on the leather care for you. Value is pretty high, that's not a common form, maybe $900.00-$1200 to a serious collector. You can hand sharpen if you like, nothing mechanical, no grinding or polishing wheels..VERY nice piece. Congrats..
    My third child smokes a lot, weights 216 lbs and is greenish...He's my favorite..
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Looks in good shape from here.  Is the leather cracked or shrinking?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    keep the patina of family use, sharpen the blade, renaissance wax the whole thing if ts going to sit, or oil the blade and wax the handle for use, the wax works really well on leather sheaths
    http://www.theruststore.com/Renaissance-Wax-P235.aspx?gclid=CI2Nja_50sUCFYQAaQod6lQAaA

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tenderizer
    Options
    A++ on the Renaissance wax. I have a can for my metal and leather, but it's pricey. Drive up to Cedar Park and you can have a dab..I'd like to see that knife.
    My third child smokes a lot, weights 216 lbs and is greenish...He's my favorite..
  • Legume
    Options
    ok - great advice, thanks.  I'll definitely leave the blade as is.

the leather's in surprisingly good shape, not really dried out but could use some attention.  even the side where my Dad carved his name as a boy isn't in bad shape.

@Tenderizer I don't get up that way often since I'm in South Austin, but will shoot you a note if I remember next time.  Where's your Dad's shop?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It apparently sold for $2.25 when new. :)

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/JustOldKnife

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tenderizer
    Options
    He's on the coast, Lake Jackson area..just p.m. me if your in the area!