Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do Eggs cost more in sunny locales?

Options
It seems that BGE dealers around here are selling Eggs at (or just above) MSRP. Even buying a  "starter package" with nest, PS, and mates doesn't really save anything. And, as far as I can tell, we don't seem to have any Eggfests here for decent pricing opportunities. Is that normal across the country or is it because I live in a sunny locale (AZ) where you can grill year around? Or some other reason?

LBGE in PHX

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Don't think it has anything to do with sunshine.   Distance from a distributor might.   Shop several dealers and see what they have.   If there is only one in your city, herein lies the problem.   Consider going to another city where there could be more BGE Dealers.  If no competition locally, you may need to create it.  If you find a better deal see if your local dealer will match it.......
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    Don't think it has anything to do with sunshine.   Distance from a distributor might.   Shop several dealers and see what they have.   If there is only one in your city, herein lies the problem.   Consider going to another city where there could be more BGE Dealers.  If no competition locally, you may need to create it.  If you find a better deal see if your local dealer will match it.......
    @bo31210 Thanks for the advice. I just think it's weird that an Ace Hardware in the middle of PA is selling LBGE's for $649 and I can't find one for less than $899 in Phoenix, AZ. I mean, if that's the way it is I'll grit my teeth and pay it, but that's a HUGE price difference.

LBGE in PHX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    I think I know where you are looking check the date on the price list.  Pretty sure it is 2012.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • malligator
    Options
    I think I know where you are looking check the date on the price list.  Pretty sure it is 2012.
    @Ozzie_Isaac I don't see a date on the list (if you meant for the PA Ace Hardware), but it's currently linked on their homepage which is dated 2015. I was a little off on the number, though. It's $699 which is still a huge price difference from what I'm being quoted.

I just called a place in Tucson. $1305 for a LBGE in a nest with a PS.

LBGE in PHX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    Wow, $699 is a good price.  Here in the Midwest you can usually get around $849 and then some help on the accessories.  We are hardly sunny, but I do grill year round.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • malligator
    Options
    Wow, $699 is a good price.  Here in the Midwest you can usually get around $849 and then some help on the accessories.  We are hardly sunny, but I do grill year round.
    Okay. I certainly don't mind paying fair market value for goods and services so I'm not trying to complain. I guess it's just with all the good deals I've heard people getting around the country I thought we were an aberration out here in the desert.

LBGE in PHX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree it doesn't have to do with the sunshine as much.  I am in GA where BGE headquarters is and we can get pretty good deals here.  You definitely have to look around though- plenty of people pay "retail" prices here as well.  

$1305 for a large, nest, and PS is definitely high!   I recall there was an Eggfest in the Desert in Phoenix but I don't see any posts about it since 2012.  

This is probably poor form on my part, but there is a KJ Roadshow coming up in a couple of areas in AZ 

http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

If the best price I could find for a large egg was $1300, I would be thinking really hard about a KJ. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.