Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making salsa tonight: missing anything?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

tomatoes

cilantro

lime juice

jalapeno

white onion

garlic

serrano pepper

sea or kosher salt

cumin

anything else I should add? going to make a slid amount and eat for dinner. in a salsa mood. don't liek fruit or anything in my salsa. don't want to make too hot bc g/f won't eat and I plan to eat a lot so want warm but not crazy

anyone have anything to add?

Boom

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    what you have looks good, other things ive added, small can diced green chilis, vinegar, tablespoon tequila
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I love cumin, but not so much in salsa - personal preference.  what you have sounds right to me, that's how I build it.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sounds good, So many good salsa options.  

Sometime soon you should try one with Tomatillos & Chipoltes . . roast all veggies on BGE for few mins first to deepen flavors and get nice char.  Here is the recipe we use . . its great!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kelseys-signature-salsa.html
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I've eaten at a restaurant that puts Mexican oregano in theirs and I like that flavor profile.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We do the same but sometimes add charred corn.....I like the sweetness.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You can finely chop fresh pineapple Mango or strawberries to add some sweetness.....but you stated you don't like fruit.  I like some roasted corn and also some diced avocado if you plan to consume it all in one eating. Consider roasting a pabalano pepper as an alternative to serrano. I love its flavor.

Oh and I like a bit of black pepper in mine as well. No cumin for me in salsa.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's how I make mine . adding a pinch of red pepper flake and sugar.  I even brown the  onions and peppers sometimes.Sometimes I add a can of Chipotles. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 chipotles if you like some smokey heat.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Sounds like you have it covered.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    tomatillos.

gringos do not understand, nor appreciate the complexity of this gift from god.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options

tomatoes

cilantro

lime juice

jalapeno

white onion

garlic

serrano pepper

sea or kosher salt

cumin

anything else I should add? going to make a slid amount and eat for dinner. in a salsa mood. don't liek fruit or anything in my salsa. don't want to make too hot bc g/f won't eat and I plan to eat a lot so want warm but not crazy

anyone have anything to add?

It might sound weird, but it's good, try adding chopped cucumber.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.