Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Spacer Substitution

Options
I need to do some maintenance on my table and must disassemble my LBGE to be able to lift it out. I bought my egg assembled so it did not include the red spacers for proper ring placement. Is there an acceptable substitute (i.e. pennies or nickles) that I could use? I need to do this today and don't have time to order a set.
Laurens,SC

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I had to watch a video to see what you meant by red spacers.  Mine was all ready assembled too.  I would ask your dealer if they have any you can use.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Just email the internship and they'll send them to you for free. This is what I did. They were very helpful.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm having a cinderblock table built, and the guys building it have lifted my LBGE several times putting it in and out of the old and new table without taking the rings off.  They took out the fire ring and fire box, but they didn't have to disassemble the bands and hinge assembly.  They didn't seem to have any trouble.  It might be easier just getting another friend or two to help lift it than have to re-do all of the fussy adjustments.  Just a thought.

Theo
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @mick7607  ... spacers are not needed. I just disassembled my egg the weekend before last, you can eyeball it .. you'll need another person to hold the rings in place (once you get the spacing right) so you can tighten the nuts.

No worries .. you can do this.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Spydermunky
    Spydermunky Posts: 75
    Options
    As someone who faought his bands for what seemed like a month, I can affirmatively say @SoCalTim is right.  Either pull your springs off or put zip ties on the hinge.  Then disassemble it.  Just make sure you get your bands put back on right, or you'll end up with an underbite like I did.
    Large Green Egg

Kansas City, KS
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Zip Tie the hinges together or find some mending strips and fasten them with the acorn nuts that are available on the front and back.

My solution - there's a football player next door from the local high school....  He's a lineman.  He will do anything for food, and so will his buddies.  Supervision is required, because, well, they are teenagers.  But they know how my ribs taste and will just at the opportunity to come by and move the egg for food later on!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Or find a pot lifter and a friend. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    That's right, those are legal in GA now, @theyolksonyou!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• mick7607
    mick7607 Posts: 85
    Options
    I have already done the disassembly/reassembly one time before without the spacers. While it was difficult to get proper alignment, I got it done. Just wanted to get it absolutely correct this time.
    Laurens,SC
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Red spacers?????
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    The dealer MUST have a BUNCH of 'em.    I made it a point to have a set left by the dealer at delivery / assembly.  

I even have the little box the dome thermometer came in.   It has calibration directions and provides a convenient place to STORE the spacers.  

XL spacers are Blue.