Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stepping up my holding & transport game!

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll nail service.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    As usual...waiting on them.  :lol: 

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Slow-motion videos of brisket slicing or it didn't happen!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Options
    My father in law:

Carl do you want these lights on for pictures?  

:lol: 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @cazzy did I miss it in the post? What was the temp after 4 hours if you don't mind sayin.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @cazzy did I miss it in the post? What was the temp after 4 hours if you don't mind sayin.
    I had the briskets in the oven for a couple hours at 170.  Then moved them to the semi preheated box (pot of boiled water for 10 min).  When I served, almost 5 hours later, the brisket I probed was at 145.  That was the brisket on the top slot.  I broke down the other two briskets a hour later and they were still warm to hot range.  
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Ok thanks.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Like the catering gig Caz. That's a serious step in the right direction. Anything you did you'd change...or for that matter keep the same?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks like a good setup and system.   I have been wanting to do some catering myself.  In laws tired to get me a job for their Penn State alumni party a while back,  but the others wanted to go with another BBQ place in  town. Looking forward to how it all went. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Like the catering gig Caz. That's a serious step in the right direction. Anything you did you'd change...or for that matter keep the same?
    I cant say this was a normal gig...even though I got paid (in equipment).  It was catering for my in-laws as 2 of their kids and 2 of their DIL's graduated in the last 2 weeks. I've cooked for most of the attendees like 50 times.  

I tried some different recipes and gave me a good idea how my food will transport, so it was definitely good experience before my big cook.  Cooking for free + getting paid makes it even more enjoyable.  On the 30th, I'm cooking for 150 people who've never had my food.  I'm honestly a lil nervous, but I'm mentally going over all of it in my head to get a schedule down.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I'm around a young couple weekly who are in the process of planning a wedding.  For the reception they are paying $150 per person, just for the venue - that doesn't include the food, which is what - another $60 per person?

I think it would be lots more fun (and save $$$) to have a home style backyard wedding with eats catered by cazzy...
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    I'm around a young couple weekly who are in the process of planning a wedding.  For the reception they are paying $150 per person, just for the venue - that doesn't include the food, which is what - another $60 per person?

I think it would be lots more fun (and save $$$) to have a home style backyard wedding with eats catered by cazzy...
    Lol...let's not get ahead of ourselves here, I'm just a hack!  They wouldn't want my sh!tty BBQ at their wedding!

For real though...I guess I just don't pay attention, but I've never heard of having to pay per person for the venue.  Is that normal?  $210 a pop for venue/food.  That will really make you think twice about inviting some people.  Just makes me think how screwed I am with my 3 girls weddings one day. :punch: 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Oh...I forgot to post some pics of the grub after the hold:

Flat

Love me some chunky point chop!

• blasting
    Options
    cazzy said:
    blasting said:

Lol...let's not get ahead of ourselves here, I'm just a hack!  They wouldn't want my sh!tty BBQ at their wedding!

For real though...I guess I just don't pay attention, but I've never heard of having to pay per person for the venue.  Is that normal?  $210 a pop for venue/food.  That will really make you think twice about inviting some people.  Just makes me think how screwed I am with my 3 girls weddings one day. :punch: 
    We aren't local to you so I was speaking generally.

In regards to the money, I'll pay more attention this week.  I try and tune it out since it all seems so ridiculous to me.  Young people just starting out spending 50k on a one day party?? - smh...
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    cazzy said:
    blasting said:

We aren't local to you so I was speaking generally.

In regards to the money, I'll pay more attention this week.  I try and tune it out since it all seems so ridiculous to me.  Young people just starting out spending 50k on a one day party?? - smh...
    I know! :tongue: 

Yeah...that's insane.  The wife and I eloped and my in-laws gave us cash and sent us on a cruise.  That seemed like a much better deal to us.   =)
  • blasting
    Options
    That food looks absolutely incredible!  You've found your true calling.
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    Options
    blasting said:
    That food looks absolutely incredible!  You've found your true calling.
    Thanks...the brisket was good, but I think it got a little dirty smoke.  My wife was eating and took a bite and made a hmm look.  She said, something is wrong...it tastes a lil bitter.  The 3 people around her and everyone else were like huh.  I took a bite and tasted it too.  She said "what can I say, I'm a brisket snob now".  I love it...she will never lie to me about my cue and is totally my best critic.

I am doing a few teat cooks this week to fix what I think happened.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am jealous of you Cazzy. Did I say I was jealous? I am getting ready to travel for work. I am jealous. I wish I could retire at your age and follow my passion for cooking. I am jealous. Your food looks solid as always and I am jealous they got to eat it. I took a bite of my phone and it didn't taste as good. I am jealous. I don't know what else to say other than I am jealous. I don't think I have ever said this on the forum but I am jealous. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    cazzy said:
    My wife was eating and took a bite and made a hmm look.  She said, something is wrong...it tastes a lil bitter.  The 3 people around her and everyone else were like huh.  I took a bite and tasted it too.  She said "what can I say, I'm a brisket snob now".  I love it...she will never lie to me about my cue and is totally my best critic.

Totally agree!  My wife is the same and vice versa. Brutally honest would best describe our criticism but, in a constructive manner. To me I rather have that than a sugar coated.... "no it's good just different". The best indication is an empty cutting board and then the "Seriously it's all gone?". 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @cazzy yeah that is normal around here to pay per plate for a large event. Guess the reason is so you don't run out of food. Depending on the menu it is 16-50.00 per plate. 

Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Congrats on making a major step on your catering journey.  That's some outstanding groceries right there.  Best of luck as you grow the business.  You will continue to nail it, no doubt! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @cazzy looks outstanding. Definitely some brisket envy. Any future ideas for a slow mo video of you bouncing a piece off the cutting board? 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    When you have time could you post the model number?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    CLOSE THREAD. These weren't transported in an egg. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    @cazzy yeah that is normal around here to pay per plate for a large event. Guess the reason is so you don't run out of food. Depending on the menu it is 16-50.00 per plate. 
    Oh...per plate is normal to me.  $150 per head for the venue is what threw me.  
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Oh...per plate is normal to me.  $150 per head for the venue is what threw me.  
    We got married 4 years ago and I just remember that everything seemed expensive if you didn't do stuff yourself to save money on things.  I don't remember the specifics but I think our venue was close to $100 per quest, maybe $110, which included the meal and open bar on beer and wine.  Liquor drinks wasn't included but available as a cash bar.  I thought the wedding business was the business to get into to make big $$$ until we had baby...
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I can just see it now, @Cazzy will have more money in GoPro's covering all angles of the cook and cutting so we can get super slow-mo videos.....  Cazzy Cam - that'll be the next item!!!

Looks amazing!  I've been looking into a cambro just for transporting all around Atlanta to family events!  Maybe this will help me convince SWMBO to go for it!!

Awesome as usual!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Mighty impressive set up and performance!  Well done sir!
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Chubbs said:
    I am jealous of you Cazzy. Did I say I was jealous? I am getting ready to travel for work. I am jealous. I wish I could retire at your age and follow my passion for cooking. I am jealous. Your food looks solid as always and I am jealous they got to eat it. I took a bite of my phone and it didn't taste as good. I am jealous. I don't know what else to say other than I am jealous. I don't think I have ever said this on the forum but I am jealous. 
    :blush: 

Don't be jealous Chubbs.  The caveat is that I have to stay home with a Marval Avenger, CIA Agent and a mad scientist M-F.  

Sure, K1 is laid back, but my lil Avenger is currently working on his ground combat skills and will sneak attack me (Believes I'm Loki) all day.  There is nothing like a cup check at 9am from Hulk or Iron Man.  

Agent K2 looks sweet...
    Yes...the key word is "looks".  She has pushed more red buttons in 2 years than any enemy of the US.  Agent K2 shows a very strong inteorgation and negotiation skill set. You can't break her with bribery or any threat and I'm constantly giving up to all her demands. She has also shown an ability to survive on milk and gold fish.
    The mad scientist is crazy...I mean look at this Dr. Evil laugh
    Evil I tell ya, K3 builds weapons of mass destruction on a daily basis and makes me clean up her lab 4 -6 times a day.  If I do a good job, I'm rewarded by hand feeding her.  If I talk back, she gets her laughs by spitting up all over my favorite t-shirts!

Still jealous?  :tongue: 

yes
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA