Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Beer Can Burger cook... Let's do this!

Options
Picked up some freshly ground chuck from my butcher. He called it "Chuck Fatty"... which means it is closer to 70/30 than 80/20 for the lean to fat ratio.

First step was lighting the Rockwood. This is my first bag of Rockwood and I'm already impressed compared to my usual go to of Royal Oak. Larger pieces, nice "tink" sound when striking two pieces together, lights fast and very little VOC burn off.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    Cooking indirect so I added my cast iron platesetter and water pan. Using the water pan to buffer the heat from the platesetter and keep the drippings from landing on a hot platesetter causing smoke etc.

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Next up, let's get these burgers built. Seasoned the "Chuck Fatty" with Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Onion Powder. Then sautéed some onions and mushrooms for the filling and then topped two of them with fresh havarti while the other has blue cheese. 

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Partially cooked the bacon to help get it rendered by the end of the cook and wrapped the burgers. Used a toothpick to hold the two pieces of bacon together it took to wrap the burgers and put them on the BGE. Planning on cooking for around an hour at 300°.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I bet they turn out great - nicely done. I also predict you'll be changing your favorite choice of lump in your signature block...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Egginspector
    Options
    Wow! Those look awesome! I'm going to try some!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Look great!!  How long did you cook and at what temp?  I do most of my burgers indirect too, but have yet to try these which are quite a bit thicker.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    WOW
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great looking burgers!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I'd hit that 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Some Beach! These look AWESOME!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Absolutely Fantastic..I thought I was looking at a Cooking Magazine..Those burgers are out of this world....Great post and Awesome pics.."Home Run"
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Simply amazing!
    McKinney, TX
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks everyone... they tasted even better than they looked. That "Fatty Chuck" grind from my butcher really was on point.

@KennyLee... these burgers cooked for just under an hour at a steady 300°. Keep in mind, the burgers really aren't as thick as you think considering they are molded around a can (first photo above). So in reality it's about a 1" thickness all around.

This was my first Beer Can Burger cook and next time I will use a slightly smaller can since these burgers were rather large at 2/3 lbs. each.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wow... Wow....Wow......Did I say WOW!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Good idea. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @ClintMiller has a good idea in using a beer bottle instead of a beer can. Creates a slightly smaller pocket which should yield a slightly smaller burger which is what would work best for me the next time I make these.

• TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet but it's right up my alley. was cooking the bacon a bit beforehand necessary? Sounds like an extra step and another dirty dish. 
    Dallas, TX
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @TN2TX... Regarding the bacon, I'm not sure it's necessary since this was my first attempt. The idea of less than rendered bacon didn't sound too appetizing so we opted with the pre-cook option. Since we sautéed the onions and mushrooms for this cook we just used a single cast iron skillet to pre-cook the bacon first and then sautéed the onions and mushrooms in the bacon grease!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man...that last pic is the frikkin money shot!  I like the trays and liners- where do you get those? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt... are you talking about the aluminum pan?

• XC242
    Options
    I think he's referring to the paper liners @EggHead_Bubba
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Ah, if the pans they are standard caterer "half-pans". My wife works for a caterer that travels the southeast catering arena shows for various bands so we have access to plenty of those at wholesale prices. If referring to the paper it's just a sheet of parchment paper from a box that is pre-cut.

• XC242
    Options
    I thought beer can burgers were eaten between a bun, or no?
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @XC242... I ate mine with a butter-toasted on the BGE Udi's gluten free bun. My wife had hers without bun. Wheat allergy sucks sometimes but there are some good products out there that help.

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bookmarked!  Do you think the water pan is necessary?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @Greeno55... I'm not sure if the water pan is necessary but I used it to create a thermal buffer between my cast iron platesetter and the bottom of the burgers. It also catches all the drippings and prevents them from smoldering on the platesetter. It was a very clean cook, smoke wise considering the Rockwood lump, no smoke wood or smoke from burning drippings.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt... are you talking about the aluminum pan?
    I thought it was an old school plastic tray but now I see it is a pan! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.