Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt...Rub or not??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I is plannin' on my first pulled pork this weekend and got company commin. Should I rub the butts before the lo an slo or not. Just lookin' for a little input here. Thanks in advance incase I don't get back to you. Mik

Comments

• Mik of Alaskam,
    I've tried them both ways..."necked" (w/o rub), and with. My vote is do the rub...the spices enhanced with the smoke do wonders with pork

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I've done it both ways too. If you have a rub you like with pork, try it. I have found that some rubs can dominate the taste of the final product. So be sure to use a rub whose flavor you like. I recommend trying a rub on smaller piece of meat prior to using it on a large cut. I'll try a new rub out on a pork chop or a few bones of ribs before I use it on large cut.
  • Mik of Alaska
    Options
    BSinAZ,
    Thanks! I was leaning that way but wanted some input. Mik

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    8-Butts-20-hours.jpg
    <p />Mik of Alaskam,[p]Rub, by all means! Give Bad Byron's Butt Rub a try. I use it all the time for my pulled pork.[p]Just wash the butts, pat dry with a paper towel, rub liberally with Butt Rub, let sit overnight or a few hours, then slap them on the egg with some hickory chunks for smoke. Pull off when they hit 195 internal. HMMMM Good.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, YX

[ul][li]A little Butt Rub makes everything better![/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]And that's the shark cage behind the two Eggs?
  • Mik of Alaska
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    You're #2 on the rub so I will go for it whole hog. I just hope mine are near as good as yours look. Mik

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Mik of Alaskam,
    Rub it.
    If you got Dizzy Pig rubs, I recommend the original DP,but I say if you like a little more spicey, go for the swamp venom or the cow lick. both great. These go on first, then smoke and cook, good eats! (as the dude on tv says, ;)).[p]HTH,
    ron.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Mik of Alaskam,[p]I say use the rub over top of a layer of cheap yellow mustard. In addition to that I have learned that I like to trim off most of the "Fat Cap." That way the crust (Bark) can be added in with the pulled pork for more flavor as opposed to throwing away the layer of fat that has all the flavor because of the rub. After you pull the pork, add a little more of the rub as a seasoning.[p]E

• Mik of Alaskam,
    Mik I have always done rubs, always homemade I experiment everytime, but I always use lots of rosemary on pork, try using thyme, garlic, paprika, a little cummin (a little goes a long way), try crushed mustard seeds, fresh cracked black peppercorns, brown sugar, I usually avoid salts, don't use table salt, try basil or sage, herbs are so good with pork, I use The Magic Bullet to blend, crush and make seasoning and rubs, The Magic Bullet is probably the greatest invention ever, if your not in the mood for a bunch of fresh herbs, try sprinkling some Caveneder's Greek seasoning on pork, Cavenders is the best multi puprose seasoning there is, best on pork, potatoes, and exspecially salads, I always slap on E.V. olive oil as well, another thing i like to do is put worchestor sauce, or soy sauce and a touch of white vineger in water pan if your using one.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Mik of Alaskam,
    copy out elder wards 4 part recipe from the recipe section. it goes over every thing you need to know including rubs sauces, the fire, sides etc. you will find it much easier to cook it in the 250 degree range. make both sauces, the vinegar based one is very good, but its good to make a few sauces so guests can pick what they like. i rub, slather with mustard and add more rub, lots of flavor gets cooked out so i start with extra

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NCEgger
    NCEgger Posts: 67
    Options
    Mik of Alaskam,[p]I like to keep mine simple. I brine my butts over night in 50/50 Apple Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar. A few hours before cooking I rub the butts with Red Pepper flakes and sometimes yellow mustard. That's it. The Red Pepper flakes give the but a nice peppery/spicey flavor.