Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which one should I get?

Options

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Hmm my little dog does have a leash in the backyard. I might need to take some steps to ensure that doesn't happen!
    The dog that devastated the egg was an English Bulldog puppy, my guess around 20 to 30 pounds.  Just don't tie the dog up near the egg and you should be good to go.  Luckily I have a fenced in yard and my puppy only weighs 10 pounds and isn't going to get much bigger.  Having the life time warranty is nice and wish I would have put it in my 6 year old's name so when I am gone he would still have a warranty on it.  There some people on here that have had there eggs for over 20 years.   Welcome aboard and happy egging.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    +1 what @Hap said.  No to the Joe as Costco has no warranty.  You'll may get your money back but then will be right where you are now.  Money in hand and no cooker. 
    I'm pretty sure this is incorrect information regarding the Kamado Joe, if we were talking BGE at Costco then it would be correct.  I think that Kamado Joe actively participates in Costco Roadshows, unlike BGE, and honor the warranty from Road Show purchases.
    This is correct.  I was thinking about a Joe Jr and I inquired.  They said that if you buy it at the Road Show it comes with a KJ warranty.  They did emphasize that if you buy it at Costco other than a road show event, it doesn't have a warranty. 

That being said- $800 for the setup you describe for a large egg is a great deal, especially considering it sounds like a good dealer.  I think the egg is a no brainer in this case.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    The road show KJs @ Costco have full KJ lifetime warranty plus divide & conquer which is a cool feature
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,597
    Options
    With the $$$ you have saved on option 1. Get a decking company out to start drawing up plans to solve your wind problem... Just a thought =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ineggscape
    ineggscape Posts: 28
    Options
    KJ seems like a really strong option with a lifetime warranty AND Costco's return policy. If I didn't have this demo Egg offered to me I honestly would probably go KJ and save $$$. Not sure why the Egg is so much more? Has to be a reason I would think, but since the cost is the same it is irrelevant in my case. 

The only thing with me is I don't have a Costco within an hour of my house. So I would be purchasing a membership of $55 just for the KJ. Then I assume to be able to return it you also need to be an active member. I doubt I would make the trip enough to justify the yearly cost. I do wish we would build one in my city though, I'd support them instantly. 

The more I talk it out the BGE just makes the most sense for me. That takes nothing away from the other brands out there, I bet I could even crush it on the Akorn before it falls apart lol.
  • ineggscape
    Options
    With the $$$ you have saved on option 1. Get a decking company out to start drawing up plans to solve your wind problem... Just a thought =)
    Money is already gone to the wife lol! She wants new curtains and then next year I have to build a fence if I don't go Akorn. Worth it to me though everytime I walk outside!
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    KJ seems like a really strong option with a lifetime warranty AND Costco's return policy. If I didn't have this demo Egg offered to me I honestly would probably go KJ and save $$$. Not sure why the Egg is so much more? Has to be a reason I would think, but since the cost is the same it is irrelevant in my case. 

The only thing with me is I don't have a Costco within an hour of my house. So I would be purchasing a membership of $55 just for the KJ. Then I assume to be able to return it you also need to be an active member. I doubt I would make the trip enough to justify the yearly cost. I do wish we would build one in my city though, I'd support them instantly. 

The more I talk it out the BGE just makes the most sense for me. That takes nothing away from the other brands out there, I bet I could even crush it on the Akorn before it falls apart lol.
    How close is your Egg dealer and what other services do they offer?  Do they have rubs, sauces, lump, wood and and able to give you cooking tips?  That's what also helped me decide on BGE.  The nearest KJ dealer was and hour away and my Egg dealer was 5 minutes.  They delivered it to my house and placed it on my patio.  They also have cooking classed and a weekly radio show for an hour on Friday from noon to one to talk about BBQ and food.  Sounds like the dealer selling the egg is giving you a lot for you money. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My only question is why are online right now? I'd be at the dealer.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ineggscape
    Options

How close is your Egg dealer and what other services do they offer?  Do they have rubs, sauces, lump, wood and and able to give you cooking tips?  That's what also helped me decide on BGE.  The nearest KJ dealer was and hour away and my Egg dealer was 5 minutes.  They delivered it to my house and placed it on my patio.  They also have cooking classed and a weekly radio show for an hour on Friday from noon to one to talk about BBQ and food.  Sounds like the dealer selling the egg is giving you a lot for you money. 
    He is about 30 miles. We have some in town but not with the same deal and he just seemed to have more knowledge. When I called he just went on and on about the eggs, in comparison the other places put me on hold and came back with a price. Not saying they are bad, just a phone call, but it can make a difference. 

He he does offer seasonings from dizzy pig, meat church, and caribeque. I have heard good things about dizzy pig, not sure on the other two. I believe he does cooking classes (might be what this egg was used for not sure) but not a radio show that I know of. 

Delivery is about $50 because of the distance. I wish that was free because that's my biggest fear is moving the thing. 
  • Ladeback69
    Options

He is about 30 miles. We have some in town but not with the same deal and he just seemed to have more knowledge. When I called he just went on and on about the eggs, in comparison the other places put me on hold and came back with a price. Not saying they are bad, just a phone call, but it can make a difference. 

He he does offer seasonings from dizzy pig, meat church, and caribeque. I have heard good things about dizzy pig, not sure on the other two. I believe he does cooking classes (might be what this egg was used for not sure) but not a radio show that I know of. 

Delivery is about $50 because of the distance. I wish that was free because that's my biggest fear is moving the thing. 
    Meat Church is on the forum and complete in BBQ computations using the BGE.  I haven't used their products yet, but I hear they are good.  If you pick it up, just make sure to have some help.  The large isn't as heavy as the XL, but 2 people moving one is better then 1.

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ineggscape
    Options
    henapple said:
    LOL trust me i would be but it is not ready yet. He ordered a new demo and it is coming within the next week. Not even sure why he is replacing it, he just said he was thinking about doing it, and wanted to sell me an egg so he offered it to me. 
  • ineggscape
    Options

Meat Church is on the forum and complete in BBQ computations using the BGE.  I haven't used their products yet, but I hear they are good.  If you pick it up, just make sure to have some help.  The large isn't as heavy as the XL, but 2 people moving one is better then 1.

I am in the midwest. I will disclose my location and dealer once I get it to hopefully give him some word of mouth if he wants me to. 
  • Ladeback69
    Options

I am in the midwest. I will disclose my location and dealer once I get it to hopefully give him some word of mouth if he wants me to. 
    OK,  I'm in the KC area and if you are close let me know and I can be of assistance.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    henapple said:
    LOL trust me i would be but it is not ready yet. He ordered a new demo and it is coming within the next week. Not even sure why he is replacing it, he just said he was thinking about doing it, and wanted to sell me an egg so he offered it to me. 
    Without knowing the specifics of this Egg I can only speculate as to why he's replacing his demo.  The most popular reason I can think of is BGE will make slight changes and modifications to the models over time, different handle material, or design, etc.  Mostly it's not noticeable but the dealers like to cook on the most updated to help them sell.  They also like to cut deals to new Egg customers to get them in the game so the demo lets them do that and gives the customer the warranty since the dealer never sold it.  In this particular case since he's giving you a new base with it, the base sounds cracked (happens from normal use sometimes) so he had to replace it anyways, so he can sell it for a discount, warranty the base and get a shiny new demo for his class and demo cooks.  He wins and you win.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • ineggscape
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    henapple said:
    Without knowing the specifics of this Egg I can only speculate as to why he's replacing his demo.  The most popular reason I can think of is BGE will make slight changes and modifications to the models over time, different handle material, or design, etc.  Mostly it's not noticeable but the dealers like to cook on the most updated to help them sell.  They also like to cut deals to new Egg customers to get them in the game so the demo lets them do that and gives the customer the warranty since the dealer never sold it.  In this particular case since he's giving you a new base with it, the base sounds cracked (happens from normal use sometimes) so he had to replace it anyways, so he can sell it for a discount, warranty the base and get a shiny new demo for his class and demo cooks.  He wins and you win.
    That makes a lot of sense and you're probably right. I'll find out more when I go get it. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options

If you have the space in your car or truck moving the egg is no issue.  All I do is remove the dome from the band and take the inner ceramics out.  Really no biggie to move.  I'm taking my large apart tonight to use this weekend.  I'll snap a few pics of it in the front seat and how I do it.  Save the $50 and buy a daisy wheel and ceramic top with it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    Just FYI if you do go with the Kamado Joe from Costco it will have the full Joe Lifetime Warranty, per an employee of Kamado Joe.  They have a forum as well that employees get on, and there's a Q&A post specifically about Costco Roadshow and warranty came up and the answer was full warranty.  How good that warranty is I have no idea, I don't have any experience with Kamado Joe.
    +1 on this.  I just picked up a Joe Jr. at the Costco Roadshow on Monday.  I specifically asked the KJ Rep there about the warranty and he assured me it carried the full warranty: lifetime on ceramics, 1 year on thermo, etc. etc.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    ineggscape said: I will disclose my location and dealer once I get it

lol - smart man.  

I'd like to think folks here wouldn't try and scoop you, but I have been accused of having rose colored glasses...
    Phoenix 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    blasting said:

lol - smart man.  

I'd like to think folks here wouldn't try and scoop you, but I have been accused of having rose colored glasses...
    I was seeing if he was maybe near by and could use some help getting it home and thought the same thing after his response. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Ladeback69 said: I was seeing if he was maybe near by and could use some help getting it home and thought the same thing after his response. 
    That's nice of you, and I bet most of the fine folks here would do the same.  
    Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One more thing to consider is your user name will look odd if you go with the KJ. inkamadojoeescape just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ineggscape
    Options
    blasting said:

lol - smart man.  

I was seeing if he was maybe near by and could use some help getting it home and thought the same thing after his response. 
    Haha no I wasn't thinking that! I have dibs on the egg I have the invoice and everything. More that I just want to confirm with him because he might not want a bunch of calls asking for $800 eggs. I'm just overly cautious, nothing personal! 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I bought an extra large, got the daisy wheel ceramic green cap, egg converter, a tool to remove the cooking grid, a box of lump starters, a bag of lump and a green bottle opener and a cypress table and the deal that the egg sits in and assembled and delivered for 1803.00.I purchased it from a small dealer.I don't have the dealers phone # handy but I will send if you want.
  • Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    Options
    I would go with the KJ as it has everything you need. I don't like the idea of buying a used grill, just kind of gross but that's just me.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • ineggscape
    Options
    luckyboy said:
    I bought an extra large, got the daisy wheel ceramic green cap, egg converter, a tool to remove the cooking grid, a box of lump starters, a bag of lump and a green bottle opener and a cypress table and the deal that the egg sits in and assembled and delivered for 1803.00.I purchased it from a small dealer.I don't have the dealers phone # handy but I will send if you want.
    Sounds like a great deal congrats! 
  • ineggscape
    Options
    Caymanite said:
    I would go with the KJ as it has everything you need. I don't like the idea of buying a used grill, just kind of gross but that's just me.
    The grossness of it did cross my mind. At least I know where this one has been, no lighter fluid used, and it will be cleaned up before I take it. The bottom half will be new as well. 
  • ineggscape
    Options
    blasting said:

lol - smart man.  

I appreciate the offer! 
  • ineggscape
    Options
    One more thing to consider is your user name will look odd if you go with the KJ. inkamadojoeescape just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Still shaped like an egg I'd manage lol.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Caymanite said:
    A clean burn at 750 degrees plus will kill off anything that could be in there...  Used grills are just already seasoned in my view.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • ineggscape
    Options

Just picked this this stupp up on impulse for $50 at SAMs. Seems like a good price is assume I can use this stuff on any kamado?