Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg needs a thorough cleaning - years of grime. How to?

Options
Longtime lurker here - my Egg lost its gasket some time ago. Years, in fact. I'd guess 8-10 yrs ago.

I've got a LOT of grime built up around the pit and I especially want to clean both lips and install the new gasket I've had for at least 5 yrs. I would post a pic, but I'm kinda embarrassed about it. No issues cooking, even at low 'n slo. But its time to do a thorough cleaning. I need a new handle (4th custom one I've owned), fire grate (3rd), and I've thought I might get a new grid until sticker shock said otherwise.

How in the heck do I clean this? Aluminum foil just isn't going to work. I tried that and the Egg laughed at me. I suppose just doing a hot burn for a while might be the answer, but that won't help me at all with cleaning the lips to install the new gasket.

I'm tempted to sandblast (lightly?)...

Any thoughts? Someone must've abused theirs like I've done.

I seldom have a cool enough Egg for cleaning ashes out, it's a sickness my wife enjoys me having...
Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
1 Med BGE

Comments

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would do a 700 degree burn with a full load of lump until it's all used up. If it's as dirty as you say, it could probably use at least an hour at 700 degrees. You'll need to remove all the ash from inside the firebox and outside before loading up for the burn. Make sure the firebox opening lines up with the outer egg opening and load it to the top of the fire ring. 700 degrees should be plenty so don't just run it wide open for higher temps, manage it at 700 degrees. A pumice stone can be used for the lips but be careful not to remove the ceramic.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Light a fire and bring the temp up to 650℉-750℉ and let it go for a few hrs and it'll be creamy white once again. Throw in PS and it'll come clean also. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Make sure you remove the dome thermometer after you've hit your temps when doing the high temp clean burn.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I can't help beyond what's been said, but I really want to see a pic. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    OP-- I have never lit a fire for the purpose of a clean burn so mine is probably equally as bad. I do cook pizzas at 550 and wok at nuclear temps so maybe not. Mine has never gotten white afterwards though so I am right there with you. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    clean burn, you dont need a gasket =) and my egg is uglier than yours, ill bet on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @fishlessman I was waiting for you to chime in. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Ugly Egg Contest? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Ugly Egg Contest? 
    i will win and i dont even need to open it up B) maybe bge could send a nice shiney new one to the winner =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Just did my first clean burn the weekend before last. The grime buildup was horrible.

800 Degrees for 30 minutes, then let it cool off for 1 hour before opening lid. The result you ask ... as white as a first snowfall.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    If you want to clean where the gasket was, I would try some heavy grit sandpaper or one of those rotary sanding things for the drill that has sandpaper flaps (someone with some knowledge, feel free to rescue me with a name here).  Just be careful, if it seals well now and you create a low spot, you may leak air - but you just want to take the grease off I think.  Honestly, I would get a rutland gasket from Ron and install once clean, much, much easier and probably saved my egg when I asked one of my kids to close the top and they didn't know how heavy it is - clunk, but no crack.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Legume said:
    If you want to clean where the gasket was, I would try some heavy grit sandpaper or one of those rotary sanding things for the drill that has sandpaper flaps (someone with some knowledge, feel free to rescue me with a name here).  Just be careful, if it seals well now and you create a low spot, you may leak air - but you just want to take the grease off I think.  Honestly, I would get a rutland gasket from Ron and install once clean, much, much easier and probably saved my egg when I asked one of my kids to close the top and they didn't know how heavy it is - clunk, but no crack.
    It's called a Paint & Rust Stripper and there are many brands and sizes on the market. Even a cheap knock-off from Harbor Freight works.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Drummerboy
    Drummerboy Posts: 36
    Options
    I believe I have one of those paint & rust strippers - will try the burn tonight. I've had the temp way up there, but probably not for long enough.

If it cleans it as white as snow, I'll be kicking my heels up in the air and have a cocktail or two. : ;)

Thanks for help guys! I'll post after pics when I'm though!

Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    That Egg has seen alot of love!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    Looks like mine. 
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Don't forget to include your Daisy wheel inside ... and don't leave the egg unattended
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    And don't be surprised when the brown tarry liquid begins to ooze from the exterior pores of the Egg. That's normal.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    Can't wait to see the after pictures @Drummerboy!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It may well look like fish's egg, but it will clean off. Try Simple Green or even dish soap.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I think you need to pick your spirits up a bit.  Dogs can sense these things and it looks like your fine friend is almost a little ashamed to be in the picture with the Egg--head down, and all-- LOL .  Only kidding of course, great looking dog, but a good clean burn and you should be off to the races again.  @RRP already posted above.  He is the go to source for gasket replacement if you should decide it is in need of replacement, too. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Totally agree @Chubbs I've never lit a fire with the sole purpose of cleaning the egg. I have after a cook let it get up in temp and let it burn itself out. Mine needs cleaned from all the steaks, burgers, L&S etc. Guess I need to roll out some pizzas in the near future :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Totally agree @Chubbs I've never lit a fire with the sole purpose of cleaning the egg. I have after a cook let it get up in temp and let it burn itself out. Mine needs cleaned from all the steaks, burgers, L&S etc. Guess I need to roll out some pizzas in the near future :wink: 
    Haha. Man I just rolled some dough for tonight. Will post later. Nothing like experimenting with pizzas in the egg. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    I've done a few clean burns now, every second hand egg I've collected gets one automatically. I fill up with charcoal, remove temperature gauge, take the daisy wheel off , and open the bottom right up. All mine are in nests so no nearby tables to worry about. They get over 1000 f , and stink! Probably a bit risky.

The other day I was set up to do pizza and noticed that that up to 600 there was none of the stink of a clean burn, but as soon as I got to 650 it started to smoke and smell like an incinerator. Had to wait probably half an hour and pulled the temp back to 600, so I could get on with cooking the pizzas.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sorry I read one or 2 posts that said get to 700 for a couple hours. This is recipe for cracked egg. I actually heard my fire ring then base crack in the middle of a clean burn. Also cracked a pizza stone doing this in a clean burn. 500 for a couple hours will also get it clean but not near as hard on your egg. Just my opinion.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    @Drummerboy That's the dirtiest egg I've ever seen! I can't wait to see some finish pics. 
    NW IOWA
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Yup, that's one dirty egg...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good to hear from the long time eggers that  they don't go out of their way to clean burn the egg.  High temp cooks with residual is sufficient.  Thank you, I'm a minimalist that sometimes screws up with perfectionism. I like the smoke charred color best!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I don't want to get in a p*ssin contest tonight, but I can't tell you how many times I have buried  the needles on all 3 of my 1,000 degree Tel  Tru thermometers in my eggs doing high temp burn outs before I remove them. Suit yourself if 500 or 600 makes you think your BGE is reaching into the bowels of HELL, but it really ISN'T!  Your BGE was made using FAR FAR higher temperatures than any 500 or 600 degree burn out! Good night...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Drummerboy
    Drummerboy Posts: 36
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Cleaned the BGE out and took to using the paint & rust wheel on the lip. Was really working well until the paper got clogged with black tar. I will be getting a pumice stone to finish it before replacing the long lost gasket.

Did my clean burn wide open and hovered around the 700 mark for 1.5 - 2 hours. When I went to shut it down around 12 (with deck lights out) I noticed some glowing from the old cedar top of my table in an area near the front. Yup - it was on fire but with no flame. Debated what to do and poured some water on it and around the rest of the wood where it encircles the BGE. Only a small amount hit the BGE and sizzled, but the embers were out.

Closed it up and waited another hour to be sure there wasn't going to be any flare ups.

From what I can tell looking through the top it appears that this was the ticket, but it is dark in there and I can see too much very well.

The biggest problem is that now the dome is stuck to the bottom half. Off to work and I'll look at it later. I'll probably drop in a small amount of some lump this evening and see if I can get it unstuck.

Yes, there is a lot of black stuff oozing from the pores...
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    I would get it out of that table right away. That is a fire hazard for sure since it has already caught once.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN