Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bbq rubs

Options
mjk412
mjk412 Posts: 113
so I was thinking of not using any rubs on my next few low and slow cooks. Pork shoulder, ribs, and possibly brisket. I was just going to use salt and pepper and the flavor of the wood, or woods I would be using at that time. Have a
lot of you guys tried this with good results? 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    It works for the best brisket in the world. Should be ok for an Egg. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Salt and Pepper (S&P) is a rub, just a very simple one anyone can make at home.  Lots of people here use it on brisket, ribs, etc.  You can get plenty of flavor with just salt and pepper and woods.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Sometimes I want a simple flavor profile and go with just salt and pepper.  Add a little cayenne for some heat.  Nothing wrong with a simple rub and a little smoke flavor.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Simple works for me! That's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of many popular rubs here and certainly not the heavy coating kind like CharCrust! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I love S&P on brisket and steaks. Works great. 
    McKinney, TX
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    We generally just use salt and pepper on ribeyes. I've done a butt with S&P and it was excellent (was having a friend over who has all kinds of allergies and I know she can do Salt and Pepper). My only brisket so far was S&P and it tasted great. I enjoy variety so I have lots of rubs too, but I'm not sure how much all those added flavors come through after 8 hours or more of smoke. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    Salt & Pepper is very central Texas. Love, love, love it. 
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For me, just a little salt and more pepper on a butt. White oak for smoke. Excellent! I've done my last couple of butts that way.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut