Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron pizza "stone"

Options
I received a Lodge CI pizza stone as a gift. I've always used ceramic stones previously. Any thoughts on using a CI "stone"?

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I've heard they work well, but if you are doing multiple pies, you will need multiple CI "stones." Or you'll have to wait a while for the CI to cool down.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    We've always used one stone in the past and just cook two pizzas one after the other without a cool down period. Just slide the second pie onto the stone from the peel. Going to try it out this weekend and see how it works. Thanks

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have one....and they work great in an oven. Being black, they will cook a little hotter than a stone so watch the bottom of your pizza.

Too big from my egg but so not much help there. They are great for biscuits, heating large tortillas and roasting vegetables. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Being black, they will cook a little hotter than a stone so watch the bottom of your pizza. 
    Isn't it dark inside your egg?  What difference would color make?

volfan1 said:
    I've heard they work well, but if you are doing multiple pies, you will need multiple CI "stones." Or you'll have to wait a while for the CI to cool down.
    I use one pan that stays on the grill.  I use two peels though.  New pie made on the first peel, with other peel free to pull the completed pizza off.

@EggHead_Bubba - I have the 14" pan, I'm guessing that is what you are referring to.  I use it for a lot more than pizzas.  Besides the great crust on pizzas, it makes a great platform for a spatch chicken and a multitude of other things.  I would say that is my most used CI piece - at least 3 times a week.  You're going to love it.  
    Phoenix 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    @blasting... you're right, I have the 14" with handles . It fits the large BGE perfectly. I can't wait to use it this weekend. Thanks for the info!

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    I have the same Lodge CI but haven't used it for pizza since I already have a stone.  The Lodge is great as a large griddle for burgers or breakfast
    Mamaroneck