Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt offerings

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you not burn what you are cooking at high temps? I have cooked steaks and or tips about 10 times and I still burn the outside. I bring my egg to around 600 degs and cook for 3 minutes, flip meat and cook another 3 minutes then shut down the bottom and top vents and cook for 5 minutes longer (shooting for medium, medium rare). I have played with the times and charcoal levels but I still burn the outside of the meat. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I can say that with the vents open I am cooking over flames instead of just hot coals and am wondering if thats the problem.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chris,
    With the sear and dwell method, you need to adjust the time that you sear to meet your tastes in the amount of charring that you want. I never sear for 3 minutes because the wife doesn't like that much char. I usually sear for 90 seconds per side. Also, using a raised grid might reduce the amount of charring during your sear.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Chris,[p]In addition to the Whiz's comments, there are a couple things you might consider. [p]First, if its a thin steak (less than an inch) you probably don't need anything more than your sear. [p]For thicker steaks, remember that when you shut down the vents, the Egg is still at that 600 degree temp for a few minutes and the steak is still getting additional searing from the radiant heat of the coals. You might alter your post-sear procedure by completely removing the steak from the Egg after the sear (it will stay warm and continue to slightly cook) while the Egg drops to roasting temps (300-350 +/-) -- then put it back on for however long you think necessary to complete the cook.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Chris,[p]Are you using a rub high in sugar?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    2005233303.jpg
    <p />Chris,
    have you tried or considered the trex method. sear to your liking, rest the steak on a plate for twenty minutes while you drop the eggs temp down to about 400, then roast on a raised grill until you get the desired doneness. i just go by looks during the sear and not by times, i dont wear a watch. your steak needs to be 1.5 inches thick minimum. this is my favorite steak, a two bone prime rib, i roast these at about 350 so that it cooks more uniform near the bone
    01fd68e1.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Chris,[p]Cooking in flames will very quickly cause lots of burning. Either lower your charcoal level to limit the flames, lower the cooking temperature a bit to control the burning, or cook the steak for less time on each side and then kill the fire.[p]Lots of options to play with.[p]Good luck,
    Spin

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Now that looks good! Tell me more. You got preferred seasonings? Chips/chunks? About how long?[p]Talk!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    WJS,
    i like the dizzy pig cowlick rub, and cook till about 123-127 for a rare to med/rare. i go by temps with a thermopen, i never could wear a watch, they make my skin crawl, drives me crazy, so no idea on time.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chris
    Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks for the advice. I will have to give it a try this weekend. Thanks.[p]Chris

• Chris
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Oh does that look good. I'll definitly try the trex method. I'll have to use thicker steak as well. The ones I cook are less that an inch thick. Thanks.[p]Chris
  • Chris
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Actually I don't use a rub but after reading some of the other postings I am going to give it a try. My wife usually maranates the tips in some packet, oil, water combination. Some times just in a soy souce solution. Do you have a particular rub that works well? I would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks[p]Chris
  • Chris
    Options
    Haggis,[p]Thanks, I will give that a try. I have been cooking steaks and tips that are usually under an inch thick. Thats all they offer at the supermarket. I'll have to find a butcher shop in the area to get something thicker. Thanks for your advice. I'll get to play again this weekend. [p]Chris
  • Chris
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks Whiz, I'll cut back more on the sear time. What do you recommend to use to raise the grill? Would using the plate set work or would that prevent the sear?[p]Chris
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Chris,[p]One of the things that can promote burning on the surface during high temp cooking are white and brown sugars either in a rub or processed like in a sauce or marinade. (Turbinado sugar can withstand higher temperatures and has a deeper flavor so you will see it used in many rubs). Some oils, like peanut oil, work better around high heat too. If you had used a rub high in sugar, that may have helped with the burning, but it sounds like some of your other responses were closer to the problem.[p]On beef I like just sea salt and pepper or maybe a low or no sugar rub, but your taste needs to be your guide. If you <a href="http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com"><span style="color:#33cc00;">Click Here</span></a> you will go to my site. Scroll down to rubs and you will find some for starters. There are many fine commercial rubs on the market. The Dizzy Pig line has a large selection and a home-made quality.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery