Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Struggled with burgers again

Options
2»

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    No pics tonight. We were all hungry and depressed following PSUs loss and just wanted to eat.
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    No pics tonight. We were all hungry and depressed following PSUs loss and just wanted to eat.

Uh-oh, get ready for the picture police to fine you. Punishment might include no text posting for 30 days. Your only form of posting will be pics only. :D
    Good news is that on this forum, pics speak louder than words.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌
    I'm glad to hear it my friend. I catch a lot of flack when I say that I cook with the dome open or recommend it to someone. But this is just crazy in my estimate. There are some things that just cook better on a per side basis. Burgers being one of them. Also BGE put a handle and a hinge on their cookers. This leads me to believe that is ok to open the dome. ;)
    On a serious note I'm glad that you nailed it my friend. Now can I talk you into trying steaks, chops and fish with the dome open as well? You won't be disappointed if you try it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    One last tip brother Tj. Think back to before you owned a egg for a moment. Remember grilling steaks, burgers, chops, kabobs, thinly sliced vegetables, fish, shrimp etc etc..... Chances are you cooked them on a open top unit or left the lid open if the grill was so equipped. The BGE did not magically change this. Leave the dome open and grill away my friend. I'm a huge believer in doing what works and produces superior results. My point? Do listen when folks say that you must do it this way or that way. Do what works. Leaving the dome open on the egg works and works exceedingly well. It makes a far better grill when the dome is left open as opposed to when it's closed. This is absolute fact and not sentiment my friend. If you need imperial data to support this claim then look no farther than your burgers. You said that this was the first time that you made good burgers by your own admission. What was the only variable that was changed? The closed dome was opened for the cook. You proved my case for me. The BGE is a excellent grill so don't be afraid to use it as such. Leave that dome open my friend and reap the benefits of truly grilled food instead of roasted food. Again in thrilled to hear that it worked for you as well brother Tj.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    So if you are going to cook with the dome open at 450-500...do you get the Egg up to that temp with the dome closed (no top vent) and just leave bottom vent at that position?  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Try ground round. It'll take care of the excess fat issue. Just like everything else cooked on the egg, product quality makes a difference. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Lots of good information on this post!
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I go with 85% lean patties 1.25" thick cooked direct at regular level,  500-550 for 3 minutes per side then close down vents to just a small opening for 3 minutes.  Usually sitting at 145 internal at this time.  Perfect every time.

When I first got the egg I recall getting the smokey flavor when i didn't sufficiently let the lump pre-burn.  
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I too do burgers with the dome open.  I do them on the CI grid set low over a hot bed of coals on my small.  They don't take long, get a nice char, and are deelish.  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY