Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - Fixing a MAPP torch

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
Couple of days ago, my Bernzomatic TS8000 MAPP torch stopped working. I could light it with a match, but even then, the flame was funky, more yellow than blue, and oddly shaped. My first thought was that the ignitor was no longer working, though it was probably also somewhat clogged since the flame wasn't normal.

To check the igniter, first remove the gas cylinder. THIS IS IMPORTANT! :) Then, simply unscrew the burner tip (should be able to do this with your bare hand), turn the switch to ON and squeeze the trigger. Looking down the barrel (you DID remove the cylinder, right?), you should see a small spark jumping between the igniter wire and the outer tube. Exactly like a spark plug on your car. In my case, I DID have a spark, so my ignitor was fine.

Next, I cranked up my air compressor and, using the blower nozzle, blew the crud out of every place I could get to. Checked for spark again to make sure I hadn't broken anything and then screwed the nozzle back on. Put the cylinder back on the torch, turned on the gas valve, squeezed the trigger and voilà, good to go! Instant lighting, nice blue conical flame... just like new!

If I had had no spark, I found a video showing how to fix that. He had a different model torch, but it looked a lot like mine and I'm guessing they're functionally the same. Anyway, there's a wire that runs from the ignitor trigger switch, through that small L-shaped tube and all the way up to the tip. No spark probably means it's shorting out somewhere along the way and the wire needs to be replaced. Didn't look like that big a deal, but since I didn't have to do, I'm not endorsing this video. But I probably would have tried it if it had been necessary. Here's the video if anyone's interested... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvyUWXxEd6g&spfreload=10

I've had my MAPP torch for over 5 years and it has stopped working twice. Both times, a shot of compressed air has solved the problem. If you don't have a compressor, I imagine your favorite garage would be happy to blow it out for you.

Hope this helps someone. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments